Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2017/06/16 09:04:14 UTC

[FUNCTOR] Why do we have an API module?

Hi,

I’m about to start work on functor. Looking at the project, I wonder why we have a separation bewteen an API module and implementations. This feels like overkill to me for a project like functor. Further more I don’t see other parties extending the stuff in the API module. If nobody objects, I’d like to remove the multi-module build and move everything into a single code base.

Regards,
Benedikt

Re: [FUNCTOR] Why do we have an API module?

Posted by Simon Spero <se...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 25, 2017 5:54 AM, "Benedikt Ritter" <br...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi,

> Am 24.06.2017 um 20:19 schrieb Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>:
>
> TBH, I don't know that I think there's a reason to do such a
library unless it's really a game changer.

Currently functor is somehow in limbo state. It has been promoted to
proper, but there has never been a release. So I wonder what we want to do
with it.

I think Matt has the right of it.

If there's no current need for Functor, and it's never had a  release, does
it need to make a sound?

A lot of the current snapshot is redundant under plain old JDK 8;  much of
the rest is subsumed by various functional and/or reactive libraries (of
which there are quite a few).  AOL's Cyclops [1] bridges a bunch of these
(e.g. [2],[3].[4]). Is there anything that isn't provided for in cyclops or
one of the things it bridges?

Simon

[1]     https://github.com/aol/cyclops-react/wiki
[2]     https://www.vavr.io/vavr-docs/
[3]     https://github.com/jOOQ/jOOL
[4]     https://github.com/reactivex/rxjava

Re: [FUNCTOR] Why do we have an API module?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> Am 24.06.2017 um 20:19 schrieb Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>:
>
> TBH, I don't know that I think there's a reason to do such a library
> unless it's really a game changer. Some years ago I was working on
> some code outside the ASF, but it never went anywhere. The approach I
> took would have been pretty controversial, but we're so behind the
> curve here there's no reason IMO to do anything if it's not fairly
> radical.

Currently functor is somehow in limbo state. It has been promoted to proper, but there has never been a release. So I wonder what we want to do with it. Currently I’m thinking about a library providing some utility functor implementations. That’s the reason I thought only targeting Java 8 would be a good idea.

Thank you. Your input here is very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Benedikt

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.