Posted to users@maven.apache.org by simon <si...@chello.at> on 2008/02/25 22:38:30 UTC

Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: simple question concerning transitive dependencies [Virus checked]

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 18:09 +0100, Wolfgang.Schrecker@atosorigin.com
wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
>  yes, I think it does make sense, just as transitive dependencies make
> sense.
>
>   if you publish a component containing another set of jars and their
> various versions, you may want it to be known as a single version e.g. 3.5
>   and if update your bundle only advance the components version (say to
> 3.5.1)
>   with no need for every deveoper to change the version of every component
> but just the main version (here 3.5->3.5.1).

Sorry Wolfgang bug I still have no idea what you are trying to say here.

There are two types of things that get published:
  * applications
  * libraries

When publishing an application, there is no need to worry about
transitive dependencies; everything the user needs is bundled with the
application and the user really doesn't care what libs are used
internally.

When publishing a library, you publish *just* your code, plus
information about what libs your code needs, and the version-ranges that
are acceptable for it (ie a pom file). The application that uses your
library may well then override your recommended dependency versions if
they prefer to use other versions for any reason.

What exactly is the use-case you are trying to support?

Regards,
Simon

Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: simple question concerning transitive dependencies [Virus checked]

Posted by Wo...@atosorigin.com.
Hi Simon,

somewhere in the company there is a group creating something, let's say for
batch import/export.
not all projects need this, but most do.
this [application,component,set of libraries] may be used in at least two
ways:

1.) you include the 15 dependencies from this [application,component,set of
libraries] and you are set.
2.) you include one dependency, which is nothing but a pom in the local
repository, referencing all those 15 dependencies.

when this [application,component,set of libraries] gets updated in just 2
components with two new version numbers,
all from 1.) have to change in their respectice projects the version
numbers accordingly, if they want the changes.
all from 2.) have to change their one component (if they want the changes)
and couldn't care less what exactly in which components have changed.

And it does work, if you set it up by copy/paste/edit in your local
repository.

mit freundlichen Grüßen/best regards

Wolfgang Schrecker

"MODEL-DRIVEN DESIGN demands that the model stay in lockstep with the
implementation, but it allows freedom to choose any implementation that
faithfully captures the meaning of the model"
from Eric Evans: Domain-Driven Design p. 230

Atos Worldline Processing GmbH
Hahnstrasse 25
60528 Frankfurt/Main
Germany
Phone: +49 69/6657-1176
mailto:Wolfgang.Schrecker@atosorigin.com
http://www.atosworldline.com

Geschäftsführer: Erik Munk Koefoed
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Didier Dhennin
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt/Main
Handelsregister: Frankfurt/Main HRB 40 417

Atos Worldline Processing GmbH
Hahnstraße 25
60528 Frankfurt/Main
Germany
Phone: +49 69/6657-1176
Fax :
mailto: Wolfgang.Schrecker@atosorigin.com
http://www.atosworldline.com

Geschäftsführer: Erik Munk Koefoed
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Didier Dhennin
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt/Main
Handelsregister: Frankfurt/Main HRB 40 417

* * * * * * * * L E G A L    D I S C L A I M E R * * * * * * * *
This e-mail is destined for the above mentioned recipient. In case you
received this e-mail by accident, we would appreciate it if you could
contact the sender and delete all copies stored on your computer.
Please be aware that the security and confidentiality of electronic data
transmitted by e-mail is not completely guaranteed and that data may be seen,
copied, downloaded or changed by third persons during transmission.
Atos Origin accepts no liability for the security and confidentiality of
data and documents sent by e-mail. Please make sure that all important
messages will be confirmed in writing by means of a telefax or a letter.
* * * * * * * * L E G A L    D I S C L A I M E R * * * * * * * *