Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> on 1997/07/21 01:01:16 UTC

Re: tabs

>>     So, shall we change the Apache style guide?
>
>Yes, that's what I'm proposing.

No.  Bugs get past the code review when the code being reviewed can't
be read without discomfort, and discomfort is exactly what I get when
I try to decypher stuff that mixes TABs with spaces.  Whenever possible,
changes need to be consistent with the code around them.  When a full
cleanup is done, all of the TABs will be removed, but a full cleanup
should never be done in the same commit as a code change.

There is no question whatsoever that a diff with spaces is easier to
read than a diff with TABs, period.  That is why the style says no TABs.

.....Roy

Re: tabs

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> There is no question whatsoever that a diff with spaces is easier to
> read than a diff with TABs, period.  That is why the style says no TABs.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow.  So what if a diff with tabs looks to be a
space or two off due to using tabs.  That doesn't change the code, that
doesn't change the way I read it.