Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca> on 2012/12/17 02:34:53 UTC

[users@httpd] How do you implement mod_fcgid?

I'm in the process of installing Apache 2.4.3 with fast-cgi on a new
server.  In the past we used mod_php but reading this user group that seems
to be a bit deprecated so I want to use mod_fcgid in this implementation.

I obtained the download from:

   http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi#mod_fcgid

and made it with apxs, and installed it as defined in the documentation into
../apache-2.4.3/modules.  No errors were reported at any stage of this.

Then I added the following to httpd.conf:

   LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so

Then I restarted Apache and get the following:

[root@prod03 conf]# ../bin/apachectl -k start
httpd: Syntax error on line 99 of /usr/apache-2.4.3/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot
load modules/mod_fcgid.so into server:
/usr/apache-2.4.3/modules/mod_fcgid.so: undefined symbol:
ap_unixd_setup_child

So I have an unresolved external reference that didn't get flagged by gcc
but where is it and what do I need to do to fix it?

Everything runs properly if I comment out the "LoadModule" line shown above
and I haven't done anything yet to actually define any CGI programmes
because it appears to me that mod_fcgid should start OK even with nothing
to do.  (ie no AddHandler or SetHandler in the httpd.conf yet).

One documentation change that might be useful would be to say right at the
beginning that you should download mod_fcgid and then include it when
making Apache.  That way it would always be there and properly linked in if
required.

Regards,

John

[users@httpd] Re: Spam:*****, Re: [users@httpd] How do you implement mod_fcgid?

Posted by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca>.
Done.

John
=======================================

Posted by Ben Johnson <be...@indietorrent.org>.

Posted by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca>.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Spam:*********, Re: [users@httpd] How do you implement mod_fcgid?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

--
Nick Kew

[users@httpd] Re: Spam:*********, Re: [users@httpd] How do you implement mod_fcgid?

Posted by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca>.
That worked, thanks Eric.

It was a positioning problem, mod_fcgid was ahead of mod_unixd in the
LoadModules list.  I just moved it to the end of the list.

I don't like to criticise, but could the documentation for 2.4 be updated
to emphasize this requirement?

 http://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid/mod/mod_fcgid.html

doesn't even mention mod_unixd.

Regards, and thanks again.

John

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On 25 Dec 2012, at 15:48, Igor Galić wrote:

> True, but right now we only have one mod_unixd model.

Windows has a different security model, even if it is buried in the MPM.

> Which reminds me, your mod_privileges is its own module
> rather than an ad-on to or replace for mod_unixd…

Yes, mod_privileges supplements rather than replaces it.
Though it was some of the work on mod_privileges that led
to making system security a modularisable API, other than
through the MPM.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] How do you implement mod_fcgid?

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> wrote:

> [...]

I think there's just no special case for it, whereas it's natural for
mod_so with --enable-mods-shared=all.

Re: [users@httpd] How do you implement mod_fcgid?

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> In 2.4, Load mod_unixd, and load it before mod_fcgid.

What is the reasoning beind mod_unix being a shared
module, rather than a static one like mod_so?

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: [users@httpd] How do you implement mod_fcgid?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
In 2.4, Load mod_unixd, and load it before mod_fcgid.

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 2:32 PM, John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca> wrote:
> I hate to re-post during the holiday season but in this case I am totally
> out of any ideas.
>
> The problem is that Apache is running correctly so far as I can see and I
> want to add mod_fcgid, so I downloaded and compiled it (using apxs to
> create a loadable module) and everything works fine.  But when the
> LoadModule command is executed the module doesn't load and issues the
> following message:
>
> httpd: Syntax error on line 99 of /usr/apache-2.4.3/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot
> load modules/mod_fcgid.so into server:
> /usr/apache-2.4.3/modules/mod_fcgid.so: undefined symbol:
> ap_unixd_setup_child
>
> Line 99 of httpd.conf is the request to load mod_fcgid
>
> This is (obviously?) a programming error but my programming skills are
> rather rudimentary and I have no idea how to approach this.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Details:
>
> compiled using gcc on a Red Hat RHEL6.3 system.  Apache-2.4.3.
>
> Regards,
>
> John
> On Sunday 16 December 2012 20:34:53 John Iliffe wrote:
>> I'm in the process of installing Apache 2.4.3 with fast-cgi on a new
>> server.  In the past we used mod_php but reading this user group that
>> seems to be a bit deprecated so I want to use mod_fcgid in this
>> implementation.
>>
>> I obtained the download from:
>>
>>    http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi#mod_fcgid
>>
>> and made it with apxs, and installed it as defined in the documentation
>> into ../apache-2.4.3/modules.  No errors were reported at any stage of
>> this.
>>
>> Then I added the following to httpd.conf:
>>
>>    LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so
>>
>> Then I restarted Apache and get the following:
>>
>> [root@prod03 conf]# ../bin/apachectl -k start
>> httpd: Syntax error on line 99 of /usr/apache-2.4.3/conf/httpd.conf:
>> Cannot load modules/mod_fcgid.so into server:
>> /usr/apache-2.4.3/modules/mod_fcgid.so: undefined symbol:
>> ap_unixd_setup_child
>>
>> So I have an unresolved external reference that didn't get flagged by
>> gcc but where is it and what do I need to do to fix it?
>>
>> Everything runs properly if I comment out the "LoadModule" line shown
>> above and I haven't done anything yet to actually define any CGI
>> programmes because it appears to me that mod_fcgid should start OK even
>> with nothing to do.  (ie no AddHandler or SetHandler in the httpd.conf
>> yet).
>>
>> One documentation change that might be useful would be to say right at
>> the beginning that you should download mod_fcgid and then include it
>> when making Apache.  That way it would always be there and properly
>> linked in if required.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John

Eric Covener