Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by john smith <js...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/17 09:15:28 UTC

Ganglia for hadoop monitoring

Hi all,

First of all, ganglia integration with hadoop is an awesome feature. Kudos
to the hadoop devs. Unfortunately its not working out for me. I am unable to
see hadoop specific metrics in my ganglia frontend.  My configurations are
as follows:

gmetad.coinf :

data_source "hadoop test" <host-name of gmetad>   ( I also tried data_source
"hadoop test" <list of machine:port separated by spaces>. None of them
worked.

gmond conf:

cluster {
  name = "hadoop test"
  owner = "jS"
  latlong = ""
  url = "abc.com"
}

udp_send_channel {
  host = <host-name of gmetad>
  port = 8649
  ttl = 1
}
udp_recv_channel {
  port = 8649
}

I restarted my cluster several times and also gmonds and gmetad. However I
am unable to see hadoop metrics in  my page. Infact nothing with name
"hadoop test" turns up

Am I missing something? I have a couple of doutbs here.

1) Is it compulsory that hadoop NN should run the gmetad daemon and the
front end ?  Every tutorial on the net assumes it that way. However I am
running gmetad on a separate node and I included NN in the node list
(running a gmond on it).
2) How does hadoop communicate its metrics with the gmond

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks ,
JS