Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Guy Sharon <gu...@hotmail.com> on 2004/09/07 11:32:12 UTC

Translation of some characters to entities

I am building a DOM tree in the code and one of the elements has a xs:string
type attribute where its value may consist of characters like '>' and '<'.

When I set the attribute's value as follows

         element.setAttribute("attr1","g>z and w<f");

The value (for element.getAttribute("attr1");) is actually - "g>z and
w&lt;f"

My question is why does the '>' char not translate to &gt; also? and how do
I get it translated? -  the xml file created from the DOM is not valid
without &gt;

Thanks.

RE: Translation of some characters to entities

Posted by "F. Andy Seidl" <fa...@myst-technology.com>.
>> My question is why does the '>' char not translate to &gt; also? <<
When serializing XML, translating a '>' is unnecessary because it will not
cause the parser any confusion--not so for '<' or '&' characters.
The value (in the DOM) of the attribute string should be exactly what you
set it to, but it should appear with the '<' translated to an entity when
you serialize the DOM to XML.

  -- fas
F. Andy Seidl, Co-founder
MyST Technology Partners