Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Pravin Hegde <pr...@akuate.com> on 2004/07/15 20:50:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Caching / expiring midi files

Hi,

I serve a few midi files to the users via <embed> tag at certain events occuring so that they playback on the users machine. I am interested in getting the midi files downloaded once cached for certain duration like a week or so as I am serving mid to high number of concurrent users.

I tried the following declarations in apache httpd conf
AddType audio/midi .mid .midi
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType audio/midi "access plus 7 days"

I also have the mod_expires enabled on my apache installation

However this does not seem to cache the file on users browsers (MSIE mostly).

I am looking forward to hearing how this could be achieved in any manner.
1. Are any additional directives required for expires directive?
2. Does there any exist any other way of achieving this.

Best regards,

Pravin Hegde
pravin@akuate.com

Re: [users@httpd] Apache stops responding frequently

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Goutam Baul wrote:
> After 5-6 days of running we find that the apache is not responding for
> sometime and then comes up on its own.

The "comes up on its own" cought my attention. You may be suffering from
what a few people have posted about, and that I myself have experienced. See
these past threads:

What I see is that a set of worker processes (or threads) "hangs" for a good
while, and then snaps out of it after anything between 5 to 60 minutes. It's
kindof weird and I cannot reproduce it.

Or, you may have a completely different issue... Make sure that PHP is up to
date; it is a common source for this kind of problems.

Regards,
Robert Andersson

[users@httpd] Apache stops responding frequently

Posted by Goutam Baul <go...@cescltd.com>.
Hello List,

I am using RedHat 8.0 and Apache 1.3.91-5. This server is being used for
QMAIL and Squirrel Mail. The later is a PHP based web application for
providing web mailing facilities.

After 5-6 days of running we find that the apache is not responding for
sometime and then comes up on its own. During this time we tried to stop the
apache server with the command service httpd stop. This generates the log
entry telling that the child processes were not available when those were
attempted to be terminated. The process ids shown in the log entry are those
that are being shown with the command service httpd status barring the
initial process.

This is happening regularly. I am not sure what are the other details
regarding my installation that I should provide to you. I shall be obliged
if you kindly ask for any details that might be useful to you all.

Observation of the log file also reveals an interesting fact, though I am
not sure if this is related. Some time the httpd error log shows that some
client tried to access a file /var/www/html/dir1/favicon.ico and that file
is not existing. We have thoroughly searched all the PHP and other web pages
being served by the server and no reference to the file favicon.ico is
there. After a few hours of this error, the httpd service stops responding
as detailed above.

Please help me with some pointer as to how I should try and remedy the
problem. I am not an experienced user.

Goutam