Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com> on 2023/02/06 11:59:54 UTC

Jakarta EE 10 status

Hi all,

As you know, TomEE 9.0.0 reached final and we immediately switched to TomEE
10 actively.

For TomEE, here is the branch
https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/1005    --> it's fairly big now
because it has also some additional standalone TCKs added.

Jakarta EE API has been updated
https://github.com/apache/tomee-jakartaee-api

Apache Jonhzon has started to migrate to Jakarta as well
https://github.com/apache/johnzon/pull/98    -->Long story short, it builds
and I started fixing the code base to pass the TCK. The remaining failures
are due to polymorphism. So it's clearly a feature gap

For BVal, the PR, I just created the PR with some initial work on the code
base and TCK fixes https://github.com/apache/bval/pull/16

Apache BatchEE, I pushed straight to master by mistake, but it still
requires some work to pass the TCK
https://github.com/apache/geronimo-batchee

Apache OpenWebBeans is moving quite fast thanks to Mark
https://github.com/apache/openwebbeans/   ----> there are some discussions
regarding the so-called "CDI Light". We'll need to figure out how to
implement it (maybe a CDI Extension can be enough).

And finally David is working hard on the platform TCK setup.

Hopefully everything will meet at a single point.

--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro

Re: Jakarta EE 10 status

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
Thanks for the Jenkins build. I was using the parametrized one Richard
created but it's definitely easier with a dedicated build.
I looked at both Jenkins and TCK, and it looks not too bad considering the
amount of changes applied both to TomEE and third party libraries +
dependencies management.

I'll keep working to bring the build as close as possible to a green state?

Re: Jakarta EE 10 status

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

> On Feb 8, 2023, at 4:15 PM, David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I just saw that branch.  The idea I had of not merging to main was so we could first get test coverage established and then start doing small changes, bit by bit, so we can avoid pushing a big set of changes that result in a perpetually broken build.
>>>
>>> I don’t really see how we can ever merge #1005 and not have that exact outcome.
>>>
>>> How do we see the changes in #1005 reaching main?  If there are test failures, who fixes them since each person's individual PR is now closed and they consider their work done?  How would we even know whose changes broke what?
>>
>> I’ve created a Jenkins job for PR 1005 that’s a copy of our main job:
>>
>> - https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Tomee/job/pr-1005/1/
>
> This build is actually looking pretty great so far.
>
>> I’m going to also kick off a Jakarta EE 9.1 TCK run against that branch to see if there are regressions.
>
> Started:
>
> - https://tck.work/tomee/build?id=1675901379257
>
> Fingers crossed.

5th time’s the charm :)

 - https://tck.work/tomee/build?id=1675905457060

Still 78% of the tests to run, but looking good so far.

-David

Re: Jakarta EE 10 status

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jakarta EE 10 status

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jakarta EE 10 status

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
I understand what you meant. At least the "let's get EE 10 tests to run
with TomEE 9 and then start upgrading". This is why I reverted some
changes.

At the same time, while you were working on it, I started doing a list of
everything and trying to determine an order to avoid wait times and favor
parallelism. This is why I started on APIs, Geronimo, BVal,  and whatever
dependencies we have.

But I've been building every day multiple times and running parts of the
server tests many times a day. So I'm pretty confident. I used the approach
of running the tests and then doing changes and running again to see what
broke and what needs to be fixed.

Of course the PR is growing and will probably be hard to review, but I'm
pretty confident we can get it stable. If not, then at least APIs and
libraries are already well advanced and I'm sure we can use that big branch
to split and push small changes to main if we don't want to merge it all
together.

Sorry if it was not the way you were seeing things.

Re: Jakarta EE 10 status

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jakarta EE 10 status

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.