Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> on 2012/11/05 11:21:29 UTC

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #146: Inline editing of objects

I notice that there were no replies to my last message (see below) and the ticket has therefore been put on hold. We've made no progress in a whole month on an issue all seemed to agree was important.

The question remains:
> Should we enable the 'edit' state for all fields using one button and submit using one button, or should we take Jira's approach of asking for individual confirmation on every field?

- Joe

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 11/5/12, Jure Zitnik <ju...@digiverse.si> wrote:
> On 11/5/12 12:44 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
>> Individual confirmation on every field? That sounds like the same thing
>> as
>> an immediate save. I think that so far the consensus is that we don't
>> want
>> that.
>
> +1
>
>> I've been using a few developers at apachecon as sounding boards as I am
>> worried that things might be more complicated than necessary. The
>> solution
>> that would seem most efficient would be that all the fields that are
>> editable are considered to be in an editable state already. The problem
>> with this is then how it is made abundantly clear that a field is
>> editable

So far it turns out that we don't need jEditable at all . It seems to
me that we are moving towards an scenario in which existing «Modify
Ticket» is redesigned to look like fields list and then toggle it to
switch back and forth between editable form and initial read only
field / value list .

Did I understand what you mean ?

>> - and it would be nice to see when a field has been edited too.

this introduces some complexities . IMO if edits are canceled
read/only ticket field/value list should be reverted to reflect its
initial state .

>> I am not yet convinced that a button to make all fields editable is the
>> right approach at the moment - it seems like a step you shouldn't need.
>
> I think that the ticket could be shown as read only initially, with the
> scroll spy component being visible from start (I think that was
> discussed in another thread already). As the scroll spy already includes
> the 'Modify ticket' button, clicking that button would enable 'edit
> mode' which would replace ticket fields inline (read only for editable)
> - that is, w/o scrolling to the 'Modify ticket' section. So, I would go
> for one button to enable the 'edit' state and one button for submission.
>
>> Other than that, a submit all changes button would probably work well.
> +1

Well this looks like what I mentioned above , isn't it ?

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #146: Inline editing of objects

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Joe,

Interesting point. I am not sure that a separate submit button is a
particularly good idea so I am not sure why I created point 5. In fact I
would prefer to encourage users to provide a comment on why they made
the change but I was hoping to avoid enhancements relating to comments
in this proposal. I suggest that for now we stick with the current
submit button.

I was also thinking that per field reverts could be considered an
enhancement for later too.

Anyway, given that there was a feeling that tickets should not start in
an editable state, I was assuming that the ability to toggle between
states would be wanted to avoid accidental changes. Without that I
suppose users are encouraged to submit their changes earlier so I am
happy to lose that aspect.

Cheers,
     Gary

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 11/30/12, Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> The look won't change that much, so I'm not sure a wireframe would be that
> helpful. I will restate Gary's last 'reset' email though:

[...]

ok . I'll create new patches asap .
Thanks for the feedback .

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
[...]

*
*
*[ point 5 removed because discussion indicated this won't be necessary ]*
*
*6. For javascript turned off on the browser, behaviour should revert
   back to the current separate form with an appropriate links to skip
   down to it. With javascript on, the form is hidden and the
   associated navigation item is then not required.

I believe this should be the basis of our work going forward. Specific
details should be decided in the implementation phase.

Cheers,
Joe

--
Joe Dreimann
*

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #146: Inline editing of objects

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 27/11/12 16:00, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 11/23/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Or something like that. So, apart from a clear idea of how we clearly
>> mark fields as edited, are there any other holes in this? It is also
>> worth considering if this fits with the current mechanisms for guarding
>> against conflicts dues to concurrent edits.
> Yes. I notice a gap here (unless I'm missing something ...) , and it
> is related to ticket workflow . Inline edits have to pass through
> workflow . Ideally we could always force `leave` action on in place
> edits but if Modify Ticket section won't be there then what shall we
> do ?

I wouldn't say that changes to the ticket details imply a change of
ticket status within the workflow so I was hoping to leave this as a
separate proposal.

However, it does seem worthy of comment as there are a few
inconsistencies. For example, it would be nice to be able to change the

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.
I agree, HTML5 brings improvements beyond DOM/JS API standardization in we
can and I think we should adopt it regardless of what our policy with JS is.

I also do not mind maintaining non-JS version if that is something our
users need, let's just not design our default UX around that and I am happy
with that.

Peter

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Joe,

If we don't we could potentially provide a site map if it is considered
useful more generally. I quite like that solution, though I could equally
imagine that those links could still be somewhere on the page for no-js
situations. I suppose it could even still be quite discreet. Anyway, we
shouldn't think this through too far. Let's just make sure that there is
some fallback for now.

Cheers,
    Gary

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

--
Joe Dreimann
*

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #146: Inline editing of objects

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
OK,

Posted by Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>.
On 5 November 2012 16:17, Jure Zitnik <ju...@digiverse.si> wrote:

> On 11/5/12 12:44 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
>
>> Individual confirmation on every field? That sounds like the same thing as
>> an immediate save. I think that so far the consensus is that we don't want
>> that.
>>

> +1

    +1

>  I've been using a few developers at apachecon as sounding boards as I am
>> worried that things might be more complicated than necessary. The solution
>> that would seem most efficient would be that all the fields that are
>> editable are considered to be in an editable state already. The problem
>> with this is then how it is made abundantly clear that a field is editable
>> - and it would be nice to see when a field has been edited too.
>>
>> I am not yet convinced that a button to make all fields editable is the
>> right approach at the moment - it seems like a step you shouldn't need.
>>

> I think that the ticket could be shown as read only initially, with the
> scroll spy component being visible from start (I think that was discussed
> in another thread already). As the scroll spy already includes the 'Modify
> ticket' button, clicking that button would enable 'edit mode' which would
> replace ticket fields inline (read only for editable) - that is, w/o
> scrolling to the 'Modify ticket' section. So, I would go for one button to
> enable the 'edit' state and one button for submission.

+100 :)

>  Other than that, a submit all changes button would probably work well.
>>
> +1

    +1

Posted by Jure Zitnik <ju...@digiverse.si>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.