Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ronan Egan <eg...@eircom.net> on 2004/03/09 16:55:05 UTC

Smtp Appender Exception on load from XML config file : NoclassDeffoundError

Hi All,
on loading an smtp appender from xml with the following config:

<appender name="email" class="org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender">
	<param name="SMTPHost" value="mailserver1"/>
	<param name="To" value="me@mydom.com"/>
	<param name="From" value="me@mydom.com"/>
  		   <param name="ConversionPattern"
                          value="%t %-5p %c{2} - %m%n"/>
		</layout>
</appender>

I get  a NoclassDeffoundError just after the ConversionPattern has been set
on debug build.

I've downloaded the jmail component specified on the log4j website, chainsaw
and other log4j features work fine so I'm assuming my problem is with the
way I've set up the smtp appender

Can anyone shed any light on the subject for me please?

Also I've bought the log4j manual but can find a working hyperlink for the
examples?
Any help appreciated,
thanks,
Ronan

RE: Smtp Appender Exception on load from XML config file : NoclassDeffoundError

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Ronan,

SMTPAppender relies on the JavaMail API. It has been tested with
JavaMail API version 1.2. The JavaMail API requires the JavaBeans
Activation Framework package.

 From what I can gather, you seem to be missing the JavaBeans
Activation Framework.

See http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/glasgow/jaf.html

--
Ceki Gülcü

RE: Smtp Appender Exception on load from XML config file : NoclassDeffoundError

Posted by Ronan Egan <eg...@eircom.net>.
Hence my problem was that I hadn't included the activation.jar in my build
path.
Thanks for the help.

its turns out this is the correct stack trace:

log4j: Threshold ="null".
log4j: Level value for root is  [debug].
log4j: root level set to DEBUG
log4j: Class name: [org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender]
log4j: Setting property [SMTPHost] to [athena].
log4j: Setting property [to] to [ronan@redcircle.com].
log4j: Setting property [from] to [ronan@redcircle.com].
log4j: Parsing layout of class: "org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout"
log4j: Setting property [conversionPattern] to [%d %-5p %c - %m%n].
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/activation/DataSource
	at org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender.activateOptions(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:247)
	at
org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseAppender(DOMConfigurator.java:210)
	at
org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByName(DOMConfigurator.java
:140)
	at
org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByReference(DOMConfigurator
.java:153)
	at
org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseChildrenOfLoggerElement(DOMConfigu
rator.java:415)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseRoot(DOMConfigurator.java:384)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parse(DOMConfigurator.java:783)
	at
org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:666)
	at
org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:616)
	at
org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:584)
	at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.configure(DOMConfigurator.java:687)
	at BrownLog.main(BrownLog.java:36)
Exception in thread "main"

Posted by Ronan Egan <eg...@eircom.net>.
Thanks Ceki,
here's the stack trace from the thread:
I'm positive the log4j is version 1.2.8 as its the only version I've ever
downloaded and its straight out of the box so to speak.

Thread [main] (Suspended (exception NoClassDefFoundError))
	DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(String, LoggerRepository) line: 593
	DOMConfigurator.configure(String) line: 687
	BrownLog.main(String[]) line: 36

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Ronan,

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

Posted by Ronan Egan <eg...@eircom.net>.
I'm using version 1.2.8

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 04:43 PM 3/9/2004 +0000, Ronan Egan wrote:
>Sorry,
>should have included it in my first email:
>
>Thread [main] (Suspended (exception NoClassDefFoundError))
>         DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(String, LoggerRepository) line: 593
>         DOMConfigurator.configure(String) line: 687
>         BrownLog.main(String[]) line: 35
>
>BrownLog is my basic example.
>Thanks again
>Ronan

Which version of log4j is this?

--
Ceki Gülcü

RE: Smtp Appender Exception on load from XML config file : NoclassDeffoundError

>on loading an smtp appender from xml with the following config:
>
><appender name="email" class="org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender">
>         <param name="SMTPHost" value="mailserver1"/>
>         <param name="To" value="me@mydom.com"/>
>         <param name="From" value="me@mydom.com"/>
>         <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
>                    <param name="ConversionPattern"
>                           value="%t %-5p %c{2} - %m%n"/>
>                 </layout>
></appender>
>
>I get  a NoclassDeffoundError just after the ConversionPattern has been set
>on debug build.

Ronan,

Which is the undefined class? A stack trace would be useful.

--
Ceki Gülcü

Re: Smtp Appender Exception on load from XML config file : NoclassDeffoundError

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.