Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/09 12:29:22 UTC

Client API : unsolicited notification support

Hi,

we haven't add support for the Unsolicited Notification, as specified in
RFC 4511, chap. 4.4 :

4.4.  Unsolicited Notification

    An unsolicited notification is an LDAPMessage sent from the server to
    the client that is not in response to any LDAPMessage received by the
    server.  It is used to signal an extraordinary condition in the
    server or in the LDAP session between the client and the server.  The
    notification is of an advisory nature, and the server will not expect
    any response to be returned from the client.

    The unsolicited notification is structured as an LDAPMessage in which
    the messageID is zero and protocolOp is set to the extendedResp
    choice using the ExtendedResponse type (See Section 4.12).  The
    responseName field of the ExtendedResponse always contains an LDAPOID
    that is unique for this notification.

    One unsolicited notification (Notice of Disconnection) is defined in
    this document.  The specification of an unsolicited notification
    consists of:

    - the OBJECT IDENTIFIER assigned to the notification (to be specified
      in the responseName,

    - the format of the contents of the responseValue (if any),

    - the circumstances which will cause the notification to be sent, and

    - the semantics of the message.

4.4.1.  Notice of Disconnection

    This notification may be used by the server to advise the client that
    the server is about to terminate the LDAP session on its own
    initiative.  This notification is intended to assist clients in
    distinguishing between an exceptional server condition and a
    transient network failure.  Note that this notification is not a
    response to an Unbind requested by the client.  Uncompleted
    operations are handled as specified in Section 3.1.
    The responseName is 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.20036, the responseValue field
    is absent, and the resultCode is used to indicate the reason for the
    disconnection.  When the strongerAuthRequired resultCode is returned
    with this message, it indicates that the server has detected that an
    established security association between the client and server has
    unexpectedly failed or been compromised.

    Upon transmission of the Notice of Disconnection, the server
    gracefully terminates the LDAP session as described in Section 5.3.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: Client API : unsolicited notification support

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we haven't add support for the Unsolicited Notification, as specified in
> RFC 4511, chap. 4.4 :

We had it with the old RFC AFAIK. But are you suggesting this new revision
has some aspects we have not implemented and therefore need to re-implement
this protocol feature?

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org