Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by JT...@L-3com.com on 2014/09/30 20:39:59 UTC

svnadmin load fails with "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service"

Someone committed a file to the subversion repository that must be
removed. The server is a virtualized Windows Server 2003 32-bit box with
4GB RAM and plenty of disk space where the repositories reside. We're
using SVN 1.4.4 (outdated, I know, not my fault, I was pulled away from
my day job to fix this issue).

I dumped the repository using svnadmin dump and filtered using
svndumpfilter. The dump file was around 90GB, and roughly the same size
filtered (yes, the users are misusing Subversion).

The load of the filtered dump failed with "Insufficient system resources
exist to complete the requested service."
This happened after roughly 99% of the filtered dump was loaded
(r9945/9991). I tried again and it failed earlier (~r7.5k).

There doesn't seem to be an issue with resources... using Process
Explorer shows svnadmin consuming about 40% of the CPU and roughly 8MB
in working set memory during the load. During the dump and filter CPU
usage is lower and memory usage higher, but still entirely reasonable.

I have searched for this error and encountered many instances, but they
seem to deal with source code and buffer errors. I need some way to
remove this file and restore the repository.

Thanks in advance for your help!

~jt

RE: svnadmin load fails with "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service"

Posted by JT...@L-3com.com.
This worked beautifully, thank you!

Now I just have to compel management to spend the time to upgrade all
the seven year-old software packages on the server...

exist to complete the requested service"

Hi,

On 30/09/14 19:39, JT.Miller@L-3com.com wrote:
> Someone committed a file to the subversion repository that must be
> removed. The server is a virtualized Windows Server 2003 32-bit box
> with 4GB RAM and plenty of disk space where the repositories reside.
> We're using SVN 1.4.4 (outdated, I know, not my fault, I was pulled
> away from my day job to fix this issue).
>
> I dumped the repository using svnadmin dump and filtered using
> svndumpfilter. The dump file was around 90GB, and roughly the same
> size filtered (yes, the users are misusing Subversion).
>
> The load of the filtered dump failed with "Insufficient system
> resources exist to complete the requested service."
> This happened after roughly 99% of the filtered dump was loaded
> (r9945/9991). I tried again and it failed earlier (~r7.5k).
>
> There doesn't seem to be an issue with resources... using Process
> Explorer shows svnadmin consuming about 40% of the CPU and roughly 8MB

> in working set memory during the load. During the dump and filter CPU
> usage is lower and memory usage higher, but still entirely reasonable.
>
> I have searched for this error and encountered many instances, but
> they seem to deal with source code and buffer errors. I need some way
> to remove this file and restore the repository.

You may attempt to load the dump using a current version of Apache
Subversion not affected by the issue, but into a repository compatible
with your production version, and then move/sync the FSFS. Specifically:
svnadmin create --pre-1.5-compatible foorepo svnadmin
--compatible-version 1.4.4 foorepo

With kind regards,
Andreas Stieger

Re: svnadmin load fails with "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service"

Posted by Andreas Stieger <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi,