Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io> on 2016/04/01 19:54:06 UTC

[RELEASE UPDATE] Postponing the next release candidates and canceling current vote

Hey Team Kafka,

Per community discussion, I will not be rolling out a new candidate on
Monday.

I will roll out the next release candidate in three weeks: Friday, April
22.
We can spend Kafka Summit discussing the quality of the release :)

The goal is to get it the following improvements:
KIP-4-metadata-update
KIP-35 (version protocol)
KIP-33 (time-based indexes)
KIP-43 (flexible SASL)
KIP-50 (Tiny ACL API change)
KIP-51 (small KafkaConnect API change)

Committers and contributors: Please stay on top of reviews and discussions.
Lets keep the awesome forward momentum we have going!

Yours,

Gwen Shapira
Temporary Release Manager

Re: [RELEASE UPDATE] Postponing the next release candidates and canceling current vote

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
Sorry guys! KIP-51 is already in. I meant KIP-52!

My mistake, Jason.

Posted by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com>.
Sad to see release got postponed. I was looking forward to rack aware
replica assignment, to have HA support out of the box. It is hard to follow
all the different discussions and what actually caused release to be
postponed. Was rack aware feature one of the controversial features? If not
would it be possible to get it and other non-controversial new features and
fixes shipped sooner?

Kind regards,
Stevo Slavic.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@gmail.com>.
It's true that the current situation is not so clear. Gwen, maybe we should
do the initial merge of trunk to 0.10.0 soon to get them back in sync?
Please let me know if you'd like some help (the first merge may not be
completely straightforward although subsequent ones will).

Ismael

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Ismael,

Fair enough, I guess it doesn't matter if we're going to merge again --
then until we decide to branch we'll be back in sync. At the moment there's
a pretty major diff between trunk and 0.10.0 and I'm not sure what went on
only trunk and what went to 0.10.0 only. As long as the latter set is
empty, then I guess we're ok not testing both for the moment.

-Ewen

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any commits that is only for 0.10.0 but not for trunk?
>
> Guozhang
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:24 AM, Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ewen,
> >
> > Do you mean issues related to versions (since that should be the only
> > difference between trunk and 0.10.0)?
> >
> > Ismael
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ewen@confluent.io
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Just wanted to throw it out there that still double committing when the
> > > committer remembers to do so is useful -- daily updates on unit tests
> (as
> > > flaky as they can be) and system tests are still useful to have. Better
> > > catch any branch-specific issues as early as possible.
> > >
> > > -Ewen

> (it
> worth
> > features.

> on
> > > it

> > three

> > wangguoz@gmail.com

> > > commits
> > is

> feature,
> > > but
> > > already

> > > ismael@juma.me.uk>

> new

> > weeks:

> > reviews

> > > --
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ewen
> > >

> --
> -- Guozhang

Ewen

Re: [RELEASE UPDATE] Postponing the next release candidates and canceling current vote

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [RELEASE UPDATE] Postponing the next release candidates and canceling current vote

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Ewen,

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Just wanted to throw it out there that still double committing when the
committer remembers to do so is useful -- daily updates on unit tests (as
flaky as they can be) and system tests are still useful to have. Better to
catch any branch-specific issues as early as possible.

-Ewen

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds good.
>
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io> wrote:
>
> > I like the alternative. I'll be happy to do the weekly merges.
> >
> > Would be happy to hear other opinions.
> >
> > Gwen
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Ismael Juma <is...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > My concern is that this is error-prone and things can be missed (it
> > > happened during the 0.9.0.0 release for example). It's a cost worth
> > paying
> > > when stabilising but not so clear when accepting major new features.
> > >
> > > One alternative would be to just commit to trunk and merge trunk to
> > 0.10.0
> > > weekly or something along those lines.
> > >
> > > Guozhang, we could delete the branch, but users could be relying on it
> > and
> > > hence I am not sure we should do that.
> > >
> > > Ismael

> > > weeks.

> > and
> > doable

> jason@confluent.io

> seems a
> > > bit

> > > candidate

> > > Friday,
> release
> > > :)

> and

> --
> -- Guozhang

Ewen

Re: [RELEASE UPDATE] Postponing the next release candidates and canceling current vote

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [RELEASE UPDATE] Postponing the next release candidates and canceling current vote

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Ismael,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [RELEASE UPDATE] Postponing the next release candidates and canceling current vote

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
Hey Gwen,

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Gwen,