Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@arsmachina.com.br> on 2012/05/28 23:48:43 UTC

Tapestry on OpenShift: did someone already tried it?

Hi, guys!

Did anyone try to deploy a Tapestry application to RedHat's OpenShift?
I've picked a very, very, very simple application with just a couple pages
and no external dependency but every URL returns the same "The requested
resource (/) is not available." . Here's its URL:
http://teste-thiagohp.rhcloud.com/

--
Thiago

Re: Tapestry on OpenShift: did someone already tried it?

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
> Do you know if there's some other use of a "vfs" HTTP protocol besides
> the JBoss one? If not, we could add the code in tapestry-core itself.

By the way, is there any failproof method to check if the app is running
under JBoss, like checking for some class in the classpath? This way, we
could only add the ClasspathURLConverter if needed.

Posted by Magnus Kvalheim <ma...@kvalheim.dk>.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1912

Re: Tapestry on OpenShift: did someone already tried it?

Posted by Magnus Kvalheim <ma...@kvalheim.dk>.
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <
thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 May 2012 03:11:06 -0300, Magnus Kvalheim <ma...@kvalheim.dk>
> wrote:
>
>  Hi Thiago.
>>

> Hi, Magnus!
>

>  This is unfortunately expected behavior. Openshift is running JBoss(7.1)
>> and tapestry is not supported on jboss out of the box.
>> I was a bit sad to discover this myself - I was kinda expecting it to
>> work for all major deployment env.
>> Basically what you need is a ClasspathURLConverter like this one
>> http://wiki.apache.org/**tapestry/**HowToRunTapestry5OnJBoss6Dot1<http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/HowToRunTapestry5OnJBoss6Dot1>
>>

> Thanks for the tip. :) After I turned off my computer yesterday, I
> remembered this problem with Tapestry on JBoss. We just had another thread
> about this and somehow I didn't remember while I was playing with OpenShift.
>
> Do you know if there's some other use of a "vfs" HTTP protocol besides the
> JBoss one? If not, we could add the code in tapestry-core itself.
> Otherwise, I prefer a separate module. Is there a JIRA for that? If not,
> please post one.

I'm happy with that :)

> Yep, we can provide a solution for this, but I'd like to remember everyone
> that Tapestry isn't working out of the box in JBoss now due to a JBoss
> issue, not a Tapestry one. ;)

True, I completely understand and agree with you.
Although I think developers don't care about the details and might blame
tapestry when it don't work. Then they have to find and integrate a piece
of code from elsewhere...
That might leave them a bit insecure (I know I am about the thought of
putting it into production - I don't know if it's production quality).

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Magnus Kvalheim <ma...@kvalheim.dk>.
Hi Thiago.

This is unfortunately expected behavior. Openshift is running JBoss(7.1)
and tapestry is not supported on jboss out of the box.

I was a bit sad to discover this myself - I was kinda expecting it to work
for all major deployment env.

Basically what you need is a ClasspathURLConverter like this one
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/HowToRunTapestry5OnJBoss6Dot1

So far I've had no problems with this approach - so maybe we could bring it
into core or make an official tapestry-jboss module based on it?

As it happens I posted yesterday about official jboss support -
http://tapestry.1045711.n5.nabble.com/Official-jboss-support-td5713435.html

cheers
magnus