Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Chris Wildman <cw...@newrelic.com> on 2016/05/27 21:35:39 UTC

Flink Upgrades and Job Upgrades

Hi,

I have two questions around Flink deployment. I have done some research but
I wanted to confirm my conclusions.

1) Is it possible to do a live upgrade of a Flink cluster from one version
to the next without having to take down the entire cluster? (Imagining a
rolling deploy where we only take down one JobManager or TaskManager at a
time while the rest of the system continues)

2) Is it possible to upgrade a streaming dataflow without having to stop
it? I see mention of "Versioning for DataStream programs" on the roadmap
here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ExmtVpeVVT3TIhO1JoBpC5JKXm-778DAD7eqw5GANwE/edit#heading=h.qn8zyouct55x
.

Assuming these are not available today are they on the roadmap for the
future? Any projected release that might have this functionality?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Flink Upgrades and Job Upgrades

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
2) What about the following: You trigger a savepoint and deploy the
2nd version from the savepoint. You let both job versions run at the
same time and switch the consumers of the job to the new version (e.g.
Kafka output topic v2). On the Flink side, this should be possible,
but moves the problem to whether you can switch the consumed data
(e.g. Kafka topic) w/o downtime.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,