Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Paul McCulloch <pa...@axiossystems.com> on 2003/08/01 13:31:17 UTC

Using a key as an argument to bean:message

Hi,

Has anyone got any ideas on how to use a message key as an argument in a
bean:message call.

e.g. <bean:message key="field.lookupbutton" arg0Key="customer.label"/>

At the moment I am using a scriptlet to access the message resources and
assign the message for the argument to a page variable. e.g.

<%
	org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources messages =
(org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources)request.getAttribute(org.apache.str
uts.Globals.MESSAGES_KEY);

	String realLabel = messages.getMessage("customer.label");
%>

<bean:message key="field.lookupbutton" arg0="<%=realLabel%>"/>

This works but is a bit messy.

Note that both keys are actually dynamic and come from nested beans on the
ActionForm - I can't just create a fixed composite message in my
application.properties.

thanks,

Paul

**************************************
Axios Email Confidentiality Footer
Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by my Company or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorised representative independent of this message.
WARNING:
While Axios Systems Ltd takes steps to prevent computer viruses from being transmitted via electronic mail attachments we cannot guarantee that attachments do not contain computer virus code.  You are therefore strongly advised to undertake anti virus checks prior to accessing the attachment to this electronic mail.  Axios Systems Ltd grants no warranties regarding performance use or quality of any attachment and undertakes no liability for loss or damage howsoever caused.

Using the bean:define to store a bean:message value

Posted by Giampiero De Ciantis <gd...@aci.on.ca>.
Hello all,

I was looking for a solution to a problem where within a JSP page I need to
store a message (that I can obtain from bean:message tag) in a string for
later use. I tried the example below with the following values:

<bean:define id="schemaName"><bean:message key="db.schema"/></bean:define>

But everytime I load the page I get the following exception:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Define tag can contain only one of name
attribute, value attribute, or body content

Any thoughts?

-Gp

u can't send the key as the argument to the bean:message, though u might
want to consider this

<bean:define id="realValue" >
    <bean:message key="customer.label" />
 </bean:define>

<bean:message key="field.lookupbutton" arg0="<%=realLabel%>"/>

-- nagi

[...]

.

 <http://www.incredimail.com/redir.asp?ad_id=309&lang=9>   IncrediMail -
Email has finally evolved -
<http://www.incredimail.com/redir.asp?ad_id=309&lang=9> Click Here

Re: Using a key as an argument to bean:message