Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Conor Quinn <qh...@yahoo.com> on 2004/07/25 18:36:25 UTC

Re: command line problem: success!

--- "Peter B. West" <pb...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Bash finds commands using the PATH variable.
> Non-root users will
> generally have the current directory (.) appended to
> the PATH.  This can
> be examined by
> echo $PATH
>
> If there is no '.' in your path, bash would not have
> found fop.sh.  If
> your current directory ( 'pwd' will show it ) was
> not the directory
> containing fop.sh, bash would not have found it
> anyway.  If the file
> fop.sh is not executable, bash would not have been
> able to run it. What
> happens when you cd into the directory in which the
> tarball was
> untarred, and execute
> ls -l fop.sh
>
> What happens if you execute
> ./fop.sh fonts.fo fonts.pdf
Yep, this was the issue: my ignorance of the basic
syntax involved.  For the want of a period (full stop)
a day was lost.  But not really : I have learned quite
a bit, since this was my first time trying anything at
all involving the command line (hence I spent the
whole of yesterday researching, testing, and
practicing these newfound knowledge)---and so I thank
you very much for taking the time to help an
interested beginner get started: your advice has made
me confident that I'll be able to do even more with
these tools, and perhaps offer the same kind of help
to someone else some day.  Till later, keep well.

Re: command line problem: success!

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@tpg.com.au>.
Conor Quinn wrote:

> Yep, this was the issue: my ignorance of the basic
> syntax involved.  For the want of a period (full stop)
> a day was lost.  But not really : I have learned quite
> a bit, since this was my first time trying anything at
> all involving the command line (hence I spent the
> whole of yesterday researching, testing, and
> practicing these newfound knowledge)---and so I thank
> you very much for taking the time to help an
> interested beginner get started: your advice has made
> me confident that I'll be able to do even more with
> these tools, and perhaps offer the same kind of help
> to someone else some day.  Till later, keep well.

I'm pleased you have it working.  BTW, in the interests of security,
*never* put '.' in a root user's PATH.

Peter
--
Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>