Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Daniel R Risacher <ma...@alum.mit.edu> on 2002/02/27 14:00:47 UTC

modperl2 feedback

I decided to try apache2 and modperl2 on my new box.  Here are my
initial thoughts.

1.  modperl2's Makefile.PL bitched at me because it didn't like the
way I'd installed Apache, and failed to build because it couldn't
determine the Apache version.  That's okay, I don't take offense
easily.

2.  Took a while to find the magic variable to make modperl install
(MP_APXS=$apache_prefix/bin/apxs), documentation for which was buried
in modperl-2.0/docs/src/docs/2.0/user/install/install.pod.  I suggest
that the instruction to add that flag should be in a top-level INSTALL
file.  Or at least a pointer to where install.pod is.

3.  Scratched my head over Apache::DBI.  Naive porting of my Apache
configs from 1.3.x to 2.0.32, didn't see any included documentation of
DBIPool or how modperl2 replaces Apache::DBI.  Found code for DBIPool
on a website somewhere, but it uses Apache::TIPool, which I still
don't have.

I commend Doug and anyone else who has worked on modperl2.  Maybe I
just got a bad snapshot.  Seems like clearly there's still some work
left to do.

-Dan Risacher

Re: modperl2 feedback

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Hi Daniel,

Daniel R Risacher wrote:
> I decided to try apache2 and modperl2 on my new box.  Here are my
> initial thoughts.
>
> 1.  modperl2's Makefile.PL bitched at me because it didn't like the
> way I'd installed Apache, and failed to build because it couldn't
> determine the Apache version.  That's okay, I don't take offense
> easily.

because of #2, right? If not please send more details + output of t/REPORT

> 2.  Took a while to find the magic variable to make modperl install
> (MP_APXS=$apache_prefix/bin/apxs), documentation for which was buried
> in modperl-2.0/docs/src/docs/2.0/user/install/install.pod.  I suggest
> that the instruction to add that flag should be in a top-level INSTALL
> file.  Or at least a pointer to where install.pod is.

Good idea. done. thanks.

> 3.  Scratched my head over Apache::DBI.  Naive porting of my Apache
> configs from 1.3.x to 2.0.32, didn't see any included documentation of
> DBIPool or how modperl2 replaces Apache::DBI.  Found code for DBIPool
> on a website somewhere, but it uses Apache::TIPool, which I still
> don't have.

It's not implemented yet. Check the todo/ dir for other non-implemented
items.

I think gozer was planning to work on this. Feel free to go ahead and
implement it.

> I commend Doug and anyone else who has worked on modperl2.  Maybe I
> just got a bad snapshot.  Seems like clearly there's still some work
> left to do.

true.

Does 'make test' pass for you?