Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/09/06 17:13:24 UTC

I finally got around to messing with Phoenix

There is a problem with a runaway thread in Phoenix or Cornerstone.
I think the problem was with the connection server.  During the
semi-clean shutdown, the console locked up on me and the last message
in the logs was:

Thu Sep 06 11:07:17 EDT 2001 [INFO   ] <<Phoenix.avalon-demo.ShutdownPhase>> (): Processing Block: sockets.
Thu Sep 06 11:07:17 EDT 2001 [INFO   ] <<Phoenix.avalon-demo.ShutdownPhase>> (): Ran Shutdown Phase for sockets.
Thu Sep 06 11:07:17 EDT 2001 [INFO   ] <<Phoenix.avalon-demo.ShutdownPhase>> (): Processing Block: connections.

(here it stopped).

I can't remember what I did to set it off (could be typing a bunch of stuff in XCommander
after connecting through telnet).

Re: I finally got around to messing with Phoenix

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 01:13, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> There is a problem with a runaway thread in Phoenix or Cornerstone.
> I think the problem was with the connection server.  During the
> semi-clean shutdown, the console locked up on me and the last message
> in the logs was:
>
> Thu Sep 06 11:07:17 EDT 2001 [INFO   ]
> <<Phoenix.avalon-demo.ShutdownPhase>> (): Processing Block: sockets. Thu
> Sep 06 11:07:17 EDT 2001 [INFO   ] <<Phoenix.avalon-demo.ShutdownPhase>>
> (): Ran Shutdown Phase for sockets. Thu Sep 06 11:07:17 EDT 2001 [INFO   ]
> <<Phoenix.avalon-demo.ShutdownPhase>> (): Processing Block: connections.
>
> (here it stopped).
>

> I can't remember what I did to set it off (could be typing a bunch of stuff
> in XCommander after connecting through telnet).

It is an inconsistency between unix JVM and windows JVM on how they implement
ServerSocket.accept(). In unix if the thread is interupted then accept() will
throw an IOException while this is not so on windows.

The workaround is to do something like

m_serverSocket.setSoTimeout( 500 );

before the loop.

--