Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> on 1998/11/10 01:30:33 UTC

automake/autoconf/libtool for 2.0

Hmmm, I was wondering why there was so much interest in a tiny commit.
If we are going to have yet another long discussion about config
mechanisms, we should at least use an appropriate subject line.

>I think we have plenty of autoconf experience here.  I don't think it will
>be a problem getting this done in 2.0.  And in fact, I'd like to propose
>that we don't make it an autoconf system but rather an automake/libtool
>system.  Seeing a configure.in.in file is probably going to make a few

Yep, that was pretty much agreed to long ago, though I've never seen a
configure.in.in file (automake uses configure.in and Makefile.am).
I can set it up, but not until I can put enough free hours together
to really understand the 2.0 package as a whole.  I doubt that will happen
until mid December (I need to advance to candidacy some time soon).

....Roy

Re: automake/autoconf/libtool for 2.0

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > (I need to advance to candidacy some time soon).
>
> WTF is candidacy?

Herr Doktor Fielding won't need to buy beer nor dinner for
*anyone*. ;-D  (That's a smiley, people!)

#ken	P-)}

Re: automake/autoconf/libtool for 2.0

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> (I need to advance to candidacy some time soon).

WTF is candidacy?

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: automake/autoconf/libtool for 2.0

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> >I think we have plenty of autoconf experience here.  I don't think it will
> >be a problem getting this done in 2.0.  And in fact, I'd like to propose
> >that we don't make it an autoconf system but rather an automake/libtool
> >system.  Seeing a configure.in.in file is probably going to make a few
>
> Yep, that was pretty much agreed to long ago, though I've never seen a
> configure.in.in file (automake uses configure.in and Makefile.am).
> I can set it up, but not until I can put enough free hours together
> to really understand the 2.0 package as a whole.  I doubt that will happen
> until mid December (I need to advance to candidacy some time soon).

True, configure.in.in is something we are using locally here.  I forgot
about that.  Basically we are pre-processing configure.in with the
following:

makefiles=`echo ext/*/Makefile.am | sed -e 's/\.am//g'`
sed -e "s#@@EXT_MAKEFILES@@#$makefiles#" configure.in.in > configure.in

And then in configure.in.in we have:

AC_OUTPUT(libphp3.module config.h build-defs.h \
    Makefile contrib/Makefile \
    lib/Makefile lib/regex/Makefile \
    main/Makefile os/Makefile sapi/Makefile \
    ext/Makefile ext/mkextlib @@EXT_MAKEFILES@@,...

This allows us to add new extensions (modules) to the system without
having to modify configure.in to tell it about these new modules.

I think for Apache we would need something similar.

-Rasmus