Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/23 16:41:01 UTC

Tomcat embedding

Last year, I took a look at tomcat as an alternative to Jetty for
embedding purposes.

I ran aground, I was just too ignorant.

Since I seem, again, to be hitting jetty bugs that close 'idle'
connections inappropriately, I've got myself interested again.

Is anyone who has a grip on server transports willing to help me out?

Re: Tomcat embedding

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
It could be more easy to leverage the servlet transport (which could be
used across the web container)
 instead of starting the engine inside the CXF.

On Tue Apr 24 08:44:13 2012, Benson Margulies wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Glen Mazza<gl...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Really?  AFAICT the code I linked to *is* using Tomcat, if perhaps not
>> directly in the manner that you're interested.
>> Glen
>
> Really. Currently, when you just 'launch an endpoint', CXF launches
> Jetty behind your back. I'd love to make it possible for CXF to do the
> same with Tomcat; however, your scheme gets me the same end-user
> benefits for a lot less effort than building a http_tomcat transport
> next to the http_jetty transport.
>

>> Benson Margulies wrote
>>>
>>> Glen,
>>>
>>> This is very helpful if I want to cheap out of actually teaching CXF
>>> to embed tomcat as it currently embeds Jetty:-)

Willem
----------------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://www.fusesource.com
         http://jnn.javaeye.com (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: willemjiang

Re: Tomcat embedding

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tomcat embedding

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tomcat embedding

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Glen,

Re: Tomcat embedding

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Benson Margulies wrote

Re: Tomcat embedding

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello Benson,
Maybe I can help on this area :-).
Note using tomcat embedding need to have a 1.6 build.

2012/4/23 Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>:
> Last year, I took a look at tomcat as an alternative to Jetty for
> embedding purposes.
>
> I ran aground, I was just too ignorant.
>
> Since I seem, again, to be hitting jetty bugs that close 'idle'
> connections inappropriately, I've got myself interested again.
>
> Is anyone who has a grip on server transports willing to help me out?

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: Tomcat embedding

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM, rpomeroy <rp...@me.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in a one-for-one replacement for cxf jetty transport. I
> actually love jetty but I'm trying to deliver a onejar packaged web service
> and there's a bug that breaks resource resolution so I'm looking at
> alternatives. Is there any prior art I might lean on?

My prior efforts did not achieve 'art'.

Re: Tomcat embedding

Re: Tomcat embedding

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Benson,
>
> May not answer you question directly about the tomcat embedding.
> You mentioned that the  jetty bugs that close 'idle' connections,  I ran
> into a similar issue months ago, and setMaxIdleTime on jetty can perfectly
> resolve it, not sure it's exactly same problem you encounter with jetty, but
> it's worthy of checking.
> Please take a look at [1] to get more details.
>
> [1]http://cxf.547215.n5.nabble.com/CXF-retrying-an-operation-td5072484.html#a5074035

Recently, that problem returned to us regardless of our setting of
maxIdleTime. I fear a new Jetty bug.

Re: Tomcat embedding

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benson,