Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Rob Stote <RS...@whitehilltech.com> on 2003/06/06 16:52:12 UTC

RE: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError in FOP 0.20.5rc2 and FOP 0.20.5rc 3

Jean-Francois:

	I was able to render you document. I do have a couple of
suggestions. I could be wrong hear but you heap size setting look to be
incorrect to me. I have mine set as follows -Xmx768M, not -Xmx###mo(the mo
could be wrong, dunno though), I had to change your XML header to the
following: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

There are various style issue in you fo file that could be contributing to
you memory error. I know that my heap size increased to close to 500M while
rendering this file. (see debug below)

Setting this many attributes per cell could cause you to be creating many
un-necessary objects.

<fo:table-cell number-rows-spanned="1" number-columns-spanned="1"
text-align="center" border-bottom-width="0pt" padding-right="0pt"
border-style="solid" border-right-width="0.1pt" font-size="4px"
border-left-width="0.1pt" font-family="sans-serif" padding-top="2pt"
border-color="black" padding-bottom="2pt" border-top-width="0.1pt"
padding-left="0pt">

Is it possible to set some these attributes on the table and not the cell
each time?
font-family - doesn't have to be explicitly set each cell, does it?
font-size - if all you font I the same size through out the table set it on
the table not each cell.

I think you'll see some improvements, in addition I think you'll see a
performance increase as well. It took close to 5 mins to render this doc...

just some suggestions

Rob

[DEBUG] Last page-sequence produced 31 pages.
[INFO] Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer
[DEBUG] Initial heap size: 690Kb
[DEBUG] Current heap size: 496704Kb
[DEBUG] Total memory used: 496013Kb
[DEBUG]   Memory use is indicative; no GC was performed
[DEBUG]   These figures should not be used comparatively
[DEBUG] Total time used: 280203ms
[DEBUG] Pages rendered: 124
[DEBUG] Avg render time: 2259ms/page