Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Oliver Christ <oc...@ebscohost.com> on 2013/03/01 17:16:03 UTC

FST-based suggesters: recent changes, binary compatibility of automata

Hi,

I've seen some changes in trunk regarding the data format of Lucene's
FST-based suggesters, and wonder whether the automata created by trunk
builds/next Lucene version are/will be binary-compatible to the ones
created with the current release, or whether any magic versioning is
taking place behind the scenes.

Cheers, Oli

Re: FST-based suggesters: recent changes, binary compatibility of automata

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Oliver Christ <oc...@ebscohost.com> wrote:

> I've seen some changes in trunk regarding the data format of Lucene's
> FST-based suggesters, and wonder whether the automata created by trunk
> builds/next Lucene version are/will be binary-compatible to the ones
> created with the current release, or whether any magic versioning is
> taking place behind the scenes.

There is versioning inside the FST, but thats only a part of the
suggester format.

We've changed the suggester formats in incompatible ways before: their
is no backwards compatibility guarantee for suggesters and we don't
test that.

mainly FST (unfortunately) has backwards compatibility because parts
of the official index format use it.