Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Ed Ward <ed...@waterfall.freeserve.co.uk> on 2000/01/18 17:43:48 UTC

Ant & Javadoc, jdk specific?

Hi,

I'm experiencing problems building the cocoon api documentation with ant.

Ant's class  'org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javadoc2' uses
'com.sun.tools.javadoc.Main' to produce the docs and it appears the tool is only
available in jdk1.2. Have I got this correct? If so, I take it I currently have
to switch jdk's if I'm using 1.1.x to build but I also want to produce javadoc.

Thanks,
Ed.

Re: Ant & Javadoc, jdk specific?

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@relativity.yi.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Ed Ward wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm experiencing problems building the cocoon api documentation with ant.
> >
> > Ant's class  'org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javadoc2' uses
> > 'com.sun.tools.javadoc.Main' to produce the docs and it appears the tool is only
> > available in jdk1.2. Have I got this correct?
>
> This is why its called "javadoc2" and not "javadoc". Consider this a
> quick hack to come up with some javadoc to make the distribution. We are
> looking for a portable way of doing this but it's not that easy given
> the differences in the two javadocs.

Which is why javadoc should be open source ...........   but that is
another story :(

It wouldn't be that hard to add a <javadoc> to Ant... Maybe I will hack
it this weekend.  Does it do anything other than call
com.sun.tools.javadoc.Main?  If so it should run on JDK 1.1 just
fine.... unless it adds other command line parameters.

Kevin

--

Kevin A Burton
http://relativity.yi.org

Re: Ant & Javadoc, jdk specific?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Ed Ward wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing problems building the cocoon api documentation with ant.
>
> Ant's class  'org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javadoc2' uses
> 'com.sun.tools.javadoc.Main' to produce the docs and it appears the tool is only
> available in jdk1.2. Have I got this correct?

This is why its called "javadoc2" and not "javadoc". Consider this a
quick hack to come up with some javadoc to make the distribution. We are
looking for a portable way of doing this but it's not that easy given
the differences in the two javadocs.

> If so, I take it I currently have
> to switch jdk's if I'm using 1.1.x to build but I also want to produce javadoc.

Currently, you could write your own javadoc task to do it, but I agree
there should be a <javadoc> method that takes care of everything for
you, simply ignoring the things that can't handle on that platform
(maybe signaling it with a warning or something).

Please, consider moving this discussion on the
ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org mail list where it is more appropriate.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Ant & Javadoc, jdk specific?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.