Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Lee Mallabone <le...@grantadesign.com> on 2002/09/10 14:10:41 UTC

[patch] boolean query boosting (updated)

Hi,

Attached is an updated patch that fixes a bug with boosting boolean
queries, and adds test cases to demonstrate the fix.

I'm no a committer, so what is the procedure for me to convince someone
to apply this?

Regards,

Lee Mallabone.

Re: [patch] boolean query boosting (updated)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@lucene.com>.
This is better.  If I'm not mistaken, however, it still does the wrong
thing for a query like "(A^2 B)^2 C".  In this case, A's boost should be
set to 4, B's to 2 and C's to 1, however I think your code would set
both A and B's boost to 2.

Also, your code doesn't pass your test cases:
   junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:
    Query /(germ term)^2.0/ yielded /(germ^2.0  term^2.0)^2.0/,
    expecting /(germ term)^2.0/

As I said before, fixing this properly requires changes to the scoring
code, not just to the query parser.

Doug