Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by DARYL HANDLEY <da...@trendwestresorts.com> on 2001/08/18 02:03:45 UTC

Setting different patterns for priorities

Has anyone figured out a way to configure log4j so that the log pattern will
be influenced by the priority of the message logged ?

When I log a DEBUG message, I want to print out the class name, method, and
line number that the logging message occured on using the %l option for the
pattern layout. When I log an INFO, WARN,  ERROR, or  FATAL, I do not want
to include this information as I understand that the operation is expensive
and do not wish to incur the extra cost.

I have given though to turning it on/off for all messages while
debugging/not debugging, but ultimately, I would like a way to control the
pattern layout for each type of message.

========================
Daryl Handley
Software Developer
Trendwest Resorts Inc
darylh@trendwestresorts.com
(425)498-2728

Re: Setting different patterns for priorities

Posted by Robert Leftwich <di...@mail.ix.net.au>.
At 10:03 AM 18/08/2001, DARYL HANDLEY wrote:
>Has anyone figured out a way to configure log4j so that the log pattern will
>be influenced by the priority of the message logged ?
>
>When I log a DEBUG message, I want to print out the class name, method, and
>line number that the logging message occured on using the %l option for the
>pattern layout. When I log an INFO, WARN,  ERROR, or  FATAL, I do not want
>to include this information as I understand that the operation is expensive
>and do not wish to incur the extra cost.
>
>I have given though to turning it on/off for all messages while
>debugging/not debugging, but ultimately, I would like a way to control the
>pattern layout for each type of message.

Check the recent thread titled "Assigning Layouts to Priorities"

HTH

Robert