Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Philip <fl...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/19 23:47:04 UTC

Undocumented configuration option

Hi,

what does this configuration option stand for:

CONFIG proxy.config.exec_thread.limit INT 2

I have a large server with two real CPUs and each has 6 cores. Does it mean
that there are only two threads at maximum so the CPUs full power won't be
utilized?

Best Regards
Philip

Re: Undocumented configuration option

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 3/19/13 4:47 PM, Philip wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what does this configuration option stand for:
>
> CONFIG proxy.config.exec_thread.limit INT 2
>
> I have a large server with two real CPUs and each has 6 cores. Does it
> mean that there are only two threads at maximum so the CPUs full power
> won't be utilized?

This is if you want to override the auto-scaling feature (which is the
default). Autoscaling is enabled in records.config via:

CONFIG proxy.config.exec_thread.autoconfig INT 1
CONFIG proxy.config.exec_thread.autoconfig.scale FLOAT 1.5

In your case, this means 12 * 1.5 threads + some extra for the HT threads
(if there are any HT cores). In most cases, you want to stick to the
autoscaling, but again, you can override it manually if you know exactly how
many threads you want.

-- Leif