Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Henderson, Michael D" <mi...@lmco.com> on 2004/04/14 00:10:48 UTC

Is python required?

I'm compiling subversion 1.0.1 on a Sun box. I notice near the end of the configure that it's looking for python. I see a lot of python scripts, are they needed for full use of subversion? Should I install python, re-configure subversion before I compile and install it?

Thanks,
Mike

PS: Here's a few bits from the config log file.

hostname = zinc
uname -m = sun4u
uname -r = 5.8
uname -s = SunOS
uname -v = Generic_108528-24
  [snip]
configure:10167: checking for python2
configure:10198: result: none
configure:10208: checking for python

PS: As a completely stupid question that I don't expect an answer to, why does IE6 lock up when I search for "python" on the subversion FAQ page?

Re: Is python required?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Henderson, Michael D wrote:
> I'm compiling subversion 1.0.1 on a Sun box. I notice near the end of the configure that it's looking for python. I see a lot of python scripts, are they needed for full use of subversion? Should I install python, re-configure subversion before I compile and install it?

You don't need python to simply run './configure; make'.  But you *do*
need python if you want to create 'configure' from 'configure.in';  to
do this, you run './autogen.sh'.  Only developers generally do this.
The 1.0.1 source tarball already has a 'configure' script.

./configure is looking for python because it's trying to decide whether
it's able to build the svn-python bindings.  Those are totally optional
things.