Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org> on 2022/07/05 09:32:24 UTC

[ACTION REQUESTED] Flink 1.16 Release Sync update

Hi everyone,

We've just finished our 1.16 release sync update and would like to update
you on the current status and request for your help:

1. The Flink 1.16 release branch is expected to be cut in 3 weeks, which
means that we will cut the release branch and start with the release
testing. New features that didn't make that time will be postponed until
the Flink release after this one.

2. Please help make it easier for the release managers by making sure that
the Flink 1.16 release page is updated [1]. This means that:

* There should be a Jira link on the release page
* This is assigned to someone
* The release page has the latest state reflected
* When a Jira ticket is completed, proper release notes have been added to
the Jira ticket.

3. There are numerous test instabilities which we need help with to get
fixed. We currently have 1 release blocker and numerous critical test
stability tickets open. You can see an overview of these also on the
release page [2]. Please help the release managers with:

* Volunteering to pick up a test instability ticket. You can ping me
(martijnvisser) to get it assigned to you.
* Please also mark the ticket as 'In Progress' when you're working on it
and 'Stop Progress' if you're not working on it anymore, so that we know
who is working on which ticket.

Current open test instability tickets that needs a volunteer to review
and/or create fix are https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-26979
(reviewer), https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-28398,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-28392 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-26402.

Best regards,

Martijn

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/1.16+Release
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/1.16+Release#id-1.16Release-2022-07-05

Re: [ACTION REQUESTED] Flink 1.16 Release Sync update

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Xingbo,

I'm a bit torn between that: we can definitely extend the feature freeze by
two weeks, but I'm worried that extending the deadline now means that
everyone will just start pushing their PRs even later. From my perspective,
we should only extend the feature freeze if we have CI problems or if
there's a feature we consider crucial that won't make it without the
extension. If the feature you're planning for 1.16 is not done before the
feature freeze, that just means that it moves to the next Flink release. As
a compromise, how about we first extend it by one week?

We can definitely follow that practice, but then we should make all
committers aware that they can't merge PRs with new features / with code
that should not end up in Flink 1.16 until the release branch is cut.

Best regards,

Martijn

Posted by Xingbo Huang <hx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martjin,