Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org> on 2003/10/05 22:16:32 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Proxy garbles "special" characters

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:15:53 +0200, Peter Bissmire wrote:

> I find certain sites are proxied with garbled "special" characters
> (accented letters, apostrophes etc.).

Garbled in what way?

> The problem appears to be limited to IIS sites (.asp pages).
> My guess is that the "specials" are being dished up as
> 7-bit pairs and that these are "split" by the Apache proxy.

I think you should start with checking this guess. Fetch a document
directly from one of the IIS servers and look at both the headers and
the data. See if the actual data is send in the format specified by
the headers. Check both the http and the html headers.

Then fetch the same document from the Apache proxy, and compare all
the headers and data.

With 7-bit pairs I suppose you mean double-byte characters of some
kind. Are you guessing it is sending double-byte unicode data or
using one of Microsofts double-byte codepages?

Anyway, what do you mean when you think they are "split" by the
Apache proxy? Two bytes are two bytes. If they arrive in the right
order they arrive in the right order. If they are in two different
TCP packages, that doesn't matter. So I really don't understand what
it is you're guseeing...

Maybe you have the URL for a page that gets "garbled" characters?

> Can anyone indicate a configuration fix for this?

So far, we don't know wether it's the Apache proxy or the IIS servers
that's doing something bad, and we don't know how any of them are
configured...

Regards
/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/

Re: [users@httpd] [OT] Proxy garbles "special" characters

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.
Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Leif W"

> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:18:22 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.47 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.47
> OpenSSL/0.9.7b

<quote>

An open-source group that maintains software
for securing communications released a patch
on Tuesday to fix several vulnerabilities that
were found during a security test by the U.K.
government.

The security flaws exist in the OpenSSL Project's
version of the secure sockets layer (SSL) software
used by Web sites and browsers to cryptographically
secure data. Two of the flaws could lead to a
denial-of-service attack, and a third may allow an
attacker to break into a system from the Internet.

Snip

Not to be confused with the OpenSSH project--SSH
stands for secure shell--which has patched its software
twice in the last month, the OpenSSL Project develops
and maintains an open-source version of SSL software.
A year ago, the Slapper worm infected Linux computers
that hadn't been patched to fix a different hole in the same
software.

</quote>

Open-source group plugs three holes
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5085327.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed

OpenSSL Flaws Loom Over Internet Security
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/7103

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
> > Pardon my apparent ignorance, but
> > what should I expect to see as http
> > header and how should I render it visible?

> One way to do this would be to telnet directly
> to the server and talk HTTP.
>
> telnet server.com 80

HOW TO: Request a Web Page Through a Telnet Client
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;279466

Also on Windows there is usage of built-in
Windows Scripting using built-in VBScript
or the language of your desire with Windows
Script Host (WSH).

Retrieving a Web Page
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/other/scroth16.asp

The above linked VBScript script is below
with changes to display headers.

'* Start of file.
'*  Web access.
url = " http://localhost "

'* Local file access.
'* url= " file://c:\whatever\folder\to\somefile.txt "

Set objHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")
objHTTP.Open "GET", url, FALSE
objHTTP.Send
WScript.Echo objHTTP.ResponseText

'* and for headers.
WScript.Echo objHTTP.GetAllResponseHeaders()

'* End of file

<notice>

XMLHTTP is the same object that IE uses,
so beware that newer changes to internal
IE upgrade/security code changed the access
mode to XMLHTTP too - Now if IE is set to
offline mode then XMLHTTP errors out with:
GetHeaders.vbs(6, 1) (null): 0x800C0008

So from now on XLMHTTP only works if
IE is set to the online access mode,even
for localhost actions.

</notice>

Save the above file as GetHeaders.vbs into
any folder. Then to run GetHeaders.vbs go to
Start -> Run and enter CMD into the Open textbox
and press OK.

This will open a new command prompt window.

In the newly created command prompt window,
change directory (cd ) to the folder where one
saved the script GetHeaders.vbs, then type:

cscript.exe GetHeaders.vbs

For more on administration scripting examples and
an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

<quote>

A client computer can use the XMLHTTP object
(MSXML2.XMLHTTP) to send an arbitrary HTTP
request, receive the response, and have the Microsoft
XML Document Object Model (DOM) parse that response.

</quote>

MSXML 3.0 SDK
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/xmlsdk30/htm/xmmscxmloverview.asp

IXMLHTTPRequest
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/xmlsdk30/htm/xmobjxmlhttprequest.asp

Also there is the WinHTTP object used
just like the above XmlHTTP object.

<quote>

Microsoft Windows HTTP Services (WinHTTP)
provides developers with a server-supported,
high-level interface to the HTTP/1.1 Internet protocol.
WinHTTP is a subset of the Microsoft Win32 Internet
(WinInet) client HTTP stack, and it is designed to be
used primarily in server-based scenarios by server
applications that communicate with HTTP servers.

</quote>

Windows HTTP Services (WinHTTP)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winhttp/http/portal.asp

Just replace "MSXML2.XMLHTTP"
with "WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1"
in GetHeaders.vbs to use a server
version.

<notice>

Since WinHTTP is not XMLHTTP,
WinHTTP works even if IE is set
to offline mode for web access,
even localhost.

</notice>

And of course there is also the free utility
Wfetch.exe.

<quote>

The following features are available in the
current version of WebFetch:

Multiple HTTP verbs
(GET, HEAD, PUT, DELETE, TRACE, POST, OPTIONS)
Configurable host name
Configurable TCP port
HTTP 1.0 and HTTP 1.1 support
Multiple authentication types
(Anonymous, Basic, NTLM, Kerberos, Digest, Negotiate)
Client-certificate support
Multiple connection types
(HTTP, HTTPS, PCT 1.0, SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 3.1)
Proxy support
Advanced requests that are entered manually or read from a file
On-screen and file-based logging

</quote>

Wfetch.exe Version 1.2

HOW TO: Use Wfetch.exe to Troubleshoot HTTP Connections
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q284285

<quote>

The following tools are available in this package:

IIS 6.0 Migration Tool Version 1.0
Apache to IIS 6.0 Migration Tool Version 1.0
CustomAuth Version 1.0
IISCertDeploy.vbs Version 1.0
IIS Host Helper Service Version 1.0
IISState Version 3.0
Log Parser Version 2.1
Metabase Explorer Version 1.6
Permissions Verifier Version 1.0
RemapUrl Version 1.0
SelfSSL Version 1.0
TinyGet Version 5.2
Web Capacity Analysis Tool Version 5.2
WFetch Version 1.3

For Windows XP and up.

</quote>

IIS 6.0 Resource Kit Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=56fc92ee-a71a-4c73-b628-ade629c89499&displaylang=en

Jeff

Re: [users@httpd] Proxy garbles "special" characters

Posted by Peter Bissmire <pb...@onetel.net.uk>.
Solution found,
thanks for the tips.

Added
AddDefaultCharsets Off
to the Proxy VirtualServer config.

Thanks again
Peter Bissmire

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:33:22 +0200, Peter Bissmire wrote:

> � (&eacute;) is rendered as 'é'
[..
> www.granddictionnaire.com//btml/fra/r_motclef/fiche_accueil.asp

I fetched that document myself. You're right in that it the mangled
characters are double byte characters. Quextion is: Why do they get
mangled?

The mangling you descibed is exactly the effect you get if you view
that document as though it is in ISO-8859-1 or maybe Microsofts very
similar Latin-1 code page.

So, it seems the characters does not get magled, split, or anything
like that in the tra nsfer. They are tramsfered perfectly fine. But
the charset info goes bad.

> Possibly relevant html header is a meta, "content = "text/html;
> charset = UTF-8".

Yes, that's certainly relevant. And that's probably the charset your
browser should intepret the document as being in.

I take it that that header is present in the document regardles of
wether you fetch the document directly or through the proxy?

> Telnetting yields following results.

Another way to see the headers is to use Mozilla (or Mozilla
Firebird) with the Live HTTP headers plugin. Or use wget with the -s
switch to get the headers saved with the file.

Both this options have the advantage that you don't have to manually
type in a valid HTTP command. :-)

> >From my server:
> HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
[...]

One problem here is that you sent a bad request. This means that the
"document" you got was your servers error document. It does not show
what your server does when you succesfully (apart from this charset
problem) use it as a proxy.

If your proxy server does add that header when acting as a proxy, it
would explain why the characters get mangled.

> So my server mentions a charset,
> IIS does not.
> I see no other significant difference

Does your server mention a charset when fetching a document from
another server (when used as a proxy), even if that server doesn't?

If both servers mentions a charset, do they specify the same charset?

> But what does this mean?

If your server adds or change the HTTP charset header when acting as
a proxy, it means the server is doing something it shouldn't do and
gives as a clue on where to continue the troubleshooting.

I forgot: are you using Apache 1 or 2?

Regards
/Jonas

Posted by Peter Bissmire <pb...@onetel.net.uk>.
Telnetting yields following results.

>From my server:
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:22:36 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.43 (Win32)

<!DOCTYPE etc.

>From www.granddictionnaire.com:
HTTP/1.1 302 Object moved
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:51:31 GMT
Pragma: no-cache
Location: btml/fra/r_motclef/index.asp
Expires: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:50:31 GMT
Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDQCRRACTS=OJOCEJCANCIFHHDGHKBLPHEF; path=/
Cache-control: no-store

<head>

So my server mentions a charset,
IIS does not.
I see no other significant difference
(apart from charset mention in html meta)

But what does this mean?
Peter Bissmire

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:18:22 GMT

Posted by Peter Bissmire <pb...@onetel.net.uk>.
A long answer with no resolution...
but let's indeed be clear.
Apart from deliberate changes that do want I want them to do,
the v.2.0.xx configuration that "misbehaves" is inherited from the
v. 1.3.xx configuration (last run as 1.3.23 if I remember correctly)
that "worked".
Any changes that may affect character renditions were built into
the binary installation package by the developer team and it seems to me
the only possible relevant config area is "charsets".
With these, I regret to say, I am not fluently conversant.

some garble examples.
é (&eacute;) is rendered as 'é'
' (&#39;) is rendered as '’'
à (&agrave;) is rendered as 'Ã'
è (&egrave;) is rendered as 'è'
ç (&ccedil;) is rendered as 'ç'
these characters are sent as literals rather than the corresponding &*;
entities.
Quoted from www.granddictionnaire.com//btml/fra/r_motclef/fiche_accueil.asp
(this is a frame content)
Possibly relevant html header is a meta, "content = "text/html; charset
=UTF-8".

Since the apostrophe is affected, you will appreciate that I also have
problems with English language sites.

Difference between direct and proxied shows in "page source" view.

Pardon my apparent ignorance, but what should I expect to see as http header
and how should I render it visible?
or are we talking about the <!text/html blah-blah-blah> bit that is missing
from the top of this
(and many other) pages.
My own pages do start with<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0
transitional//en">
before the <html> tag and present no such problem. They also make no charset
reference.

Yes, indeed, I am suggesting 2-byte chars - but that is only
faffing about in the dark.

Any ideas?
Peter Bissmire