Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by André Juffer <an...@oulu.fi> on 2012/10/04 08:53:10 UTC

[C3] Sting template, passing argument to method

Hello,

I am dealing with the following problem. A REST resource returns an
(DTO) object called statistics (of type Statistics) holding various
properties. With string template, each property can be inserted into an
XML file, like

<A>$statistics.propertyA$</A>

where the corresponding method on the Statistics object is getPropertyA().

One of the properties requires an argument of type String, where the
actual method signature is getNumberFor(String name). It returns an int.
The name is obtained from a list of names obtained from the statistics
objects as well. The idea is to iterate through the list of names and
return a number (int) for each name.

Thus, the XML code that I try to complete looks like:
<socials>
   $statistics.names: { name |
     <social>
       <name>$name$</name>
       <number>$statistics.numberFor(name)$</tribc:number>
     </social>
   }$
</socials>

The Statistics object holds among other things a Map<String, Integer>
with the requested numbers.

The line $statistics.numberFor(name)$ is however erroneous. I cannot
pass the current value of name to the method in question.

My question is now: How to pass a argument to a given method on an
object using string template. The string template website did not give a
clear answer, so maybe it is not even possible, or maybe I just
completely overlooked it.

Any help is appreciated.

RE: [C3] Sting template, passing argument to method

Posted by Robby Pelssers <Ro...@nxp.com>.
Lol... you beat me to giving the solution.  It's indeed dead simple.  And Franscesco is right about ST only supporting javabeans style access.  I had a similar issue in the past passing javascript objects from flowscript to jxtemplate generator.

So I ended up extending the native JS Object with some methods like values() and keys() which are iterable.  And of course a Map has the same methods enabling you to get an enumerable of keys/ values or entries.

http://robbypelssers.blogspot.nl/2010/10/creating-higher-order-functions-in.html

Robby
Posted by André Juffer <an...@oulu.fi>.

Posted by André Juffer <an...@oulu.fi>.
On 10/05/2012 12:05 PM, gelo1234 wrote:

> Andre,
>
> In my opinion, if you are dealing with XML data, you should turn your
> eyes into XSL[T] instead of ST.

I use ST to create the initial XML from a DTO returned by a REST
resource ('EventResource'), like

Map<String, Object> map = new HashMap<String, Object>();
EventStatisticsDTO dto = eventFacade_.getStatistics(eventId);
map.put("statistics", dto);
return URLResponseBuilder.newInstance(
                     "servlet:tribc-evt:/event-statistics." + format, map
                     ).build();

The tribc-evt:/event-statistics calls upon the sitemap.
Depending on 'format' (either 'xml' or 'json'), I leave the XML as it
is, or I transform the XML to JSON using XSL.

Best,
André

Posted by gelo1234 <ge...@gmail.com>.
Andre,

Posted by André Juffer <an...@oulu.fi>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 05/10/2012 10:59, gelo1234 wrote:

> Is there any reasonable benefit from using ST in "transform layer" ? I
> tend to believe that C2/C3 authors overly favor ST templates in the
> whole C architecture. Does it stem from the mere fact that ST is
> deadly simple/fast to compute (transform data) while being very
> general-purpose ? Or is there any other reason ? In my opinion ST is
> pretty exotic, i mean it is neither any valid standard, nor seen in
> any favorable (Java EE) technology stack.
>
> As this case shows, its not a valid engine for general-purpose problems.
> Im not giving here the alternatives yet, because i would like to hear
> first the reasons behind choosing ST as a preferable template engine
> in C2/C3.

AFAIK, ST is not "preferred", it's barely the only one available so far
in C3.

And I don't remember ST to be available at all in C2.1 and C2.2.
C2.1 and C.2.2 have instead a wider range of supported template engines,
including JX (my favorite) [1] [2].

If you'd like to port JX (or any other templating engine) to C3, your
contribution is more than welcome.

Best regards.

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/template/1.0/976_1_1.html
[2] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/template/1.0/1012_1_1.html

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [C3] Sting template, passing argument to method

Posted by gelo1234 <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.