Posted to user@flink.apache.org by mb...@gmail.com, mb...@gmail.com on 2019/03/13 08:52:57 UTC

Partitions and the number of cores/executors

Hi,

I am working with Gelly graph library but I think the question is applicable in general. I just want to confirm if a single data partition in Flink is executed by only a single executor/core? i.e. multiple executors can't be utilized to process a single partition in parallel. So, if I need to have utilize higher parallelism I should simply have an equal number of partitions.

I suppose the reason for this is to avoid any kind of locking that might be required to process a data partition with multiple executors.

Thanks

- Bilal

Re: Partitions and the number of cores/executors

Posted by Stefan Richter <s....@ververica.com>.
Hi,

Your assumption is right. Parallel processing is based in splitting inputs and each split is only processed by one task instance at a time.

Best,
Stefan