Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Manasa Veloori (3P)" <ma...@citrix.com> on 2013/11/20 11:01:16 UTC

[Review Request]ASF4.2 to4.2.1 upgarde steps using source builds

Steps to upgrade ASF 4.2 to 4.2.1 using source builds:

1.     Deploy ASF4.2.0 using the procedure given at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Release+test+procedure
Use the following links to download the source

                 wget --no-check-certificate https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/cloudstack/KEYS
                 wget --no-check-certificate http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/cloudstack/releases/4.2.0/apache-cloudstack-4.2.0-src.tar.bz2
                wget --no-check-certificate http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/cloudstack/releases/4.2.0/apache-cloudstack-4.2.0-src.tar.bz2.asc
                 wget --no-check-certificate http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/cloudstack/releases/4.2.0/apache-cloudstack-4.2.0-src.tar.bz2.md5
                 wget --no-check-certificate http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/cloudstack/releases/4.2.0/apache-cloudstack-4.2.0-src.tar.bz2.sha

2.      Stop the Managament server and take the db dump.

3.      Now download the source for 4.2.1 from below location:
                    wget --no-check-certificate https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/cloudstack/KEYS
                    wget --no-check-certificate https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/cloudstack/4.2.1/apache-cloudstack-4.2.1-src.tar.bz2
                    wget --no-check-certificate https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/cloudstack/4.2.1/apache-cloudstack-4.2.1-src.tar.bz2.asc
                   wget --no-check-certificate https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/cloudstack/4.2.1/apache-cloudstack-4.2.1-src.tar.bz2.md5
                    wget --no-check-certificate https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/cloudstack/4.2.1/apache-cloudstack-4.2.1-src.tar.bz2.sha

4.      gpg --import KEYS

5.      Verify signatures and hash files:
                 gpg --verify apache-cloudstack-4.2.1-src.tar.bz2.asc

                       This command should return "Good Signature".

6.      gpg --print-md MD5 apache-cloudstack-4.2.1-src.tar.bz2 | diff - apache-cloudstack-4.2.1-src.tar.bz2.md5
            gpg --print-md SHA512 apache-cloudstack-4.2.1-src.tar.bz2 | diff - apache-cloudstack-4.1.0-src.tar.bz2.sha

                       Each of these commands should return no output. If there is any output from them, then there is a difference between the hash you generated               locally and the hash that has been pulled from the server.

7.      Extract the source code and verify the contents:
                 Get the commit hash from the VOTE email (ex: 4cd60f3d1683a3445c3248f48ae064fb573db2a1). The value will change between releases.
                   Create two new temporary directories:
             mkdir /tmp/cloudstack/tree

8.      Checkout to the 4.2.1 git branch

git archive --format=tar --prefix=/tmp/cloudstack/tree/ <commit-hash> | tar Pxf -

9.      Unpack the release artifact:
                       cd /tmp/cloudstack
                       tar xvfj apache-cloudstack-4.2.1-src.tar.bz2

10.   Compare the contents of the release artifact with the contents pulled from the repo:
                    diff -r /tmp/cloudstack/apache-cloudstack-4.2.1-src /tmp/cloudstack/tree

                    Nothing should be different.

11.   Verify the Code's License Headers
                      cd /tmp/cloudstack/apache-cloudstack-4.2.1-src
                      mvn --projects='org.apache.cloudstack:cloudstack' org.apache.rat:apache-rat-plugin:0.8:check

The build should FAIL if there are any non-compliant files that are not specifically excluded from the ASF license header requirement. You can optionally review the target/rat.txt file after the run completes. If the build passes, RAT is saying that we are compliant and this test passes.

12.   Compile and upgrade Management Server
                mvn -P developer,systemvm clean install (or) mvn -P developer,systemvm clean install -Dnonoss
               mvn -pl :cloud-client-ui jetty:run

13.    Check the database whether the db is upgraded to 4.2.1

Thanks,
Manasa

Re: [Review Request]ASF4.2 to4.2.1 upgarde steps using source builds

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
Thanks Manasa for trying out the upgrades.

Radhika,
   We had a hackathon on RN yesterday here at Collab.
Several changes have been made, can you build those and email so that
these can be reviewed by community ?

-abhi