Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com> on 2008/06/30 16:46:01 UTC

FYI: I'll be working for Workflow company over summer

Hi guys,

I thought that it's a good idea to clearly state that I'll be working for Workflow company from Vienna.

My employment will probably drive my most of the interest in working on C2.2 over this summer.
Anyway, I was lucky enough to find a job that will give me a chance to work on my favorite Cocoon parts.

My plan for this summer is (apart from bug-fixing and maintenance work of course):
1. Upgrade of our documentation system to Daisy 2.2 once released (quite tedious I guess)
2. Collaboration of Dojo 1.1 migration of Forms. Here I speak to you Jeremy, I will finally have
enough time to give you a serious feedback, probably some code and plenty of tips when it comes to
2.2. Others interested in this work are invited to participate in the effort of course!
3. I finally want to learn how to make releases, I'll probably start with Template 1.0.0 and Forms
1.0.0. If successful, then I want to release Template 1.2.0 that includes contributions from Kamal
Bhatt (jx:element).
4. Some work on Cocoon's core leading to 2.3 release of _Cocoon core_ only (will write an e-mail
about it later this week).
5. Having a serious look into Corona.
6. First release of my Cocoon blog project. (this will probably have the highest priority)

There will be probably some other points as well.

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski (happy about upcomming two months)

Re: What is Corona?

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
Technically Corona and Cocoon 2.2 run on top of the servlet-service
framework. We haven't tried it yet but it should only be a matter of
configuration to run Corona and Cocoon 2.2 in the same web application.
The servlet protocol will also allow communication between the two worlds.

It *might* be possible to write an adapter to run Cocoon 2.2 sitemap
components that have been migrated to Spring in Corona but the devil is
in the details and you never know before you really try it.

BTW, you can have a look at Corona yourself. It is hosted by the Cocoon
whiteboard:
http://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/corona/trunk/

Re: What is Corona?

Posted by Kamal Bhatt <kb...@tt.com.au>.

--
Kamal Bhatt

Re: What is Corona?

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Reinhard,

I'm really looking forward to the documentation on this. To be honest, I
am not sure I will ever be using Cocoon as a whole again but I can think
of many cases where just using the pipeline would be valuable.

I would suggest that if Corona is really as independent as it sounds
then it should reside in its own subproject. This will keep dependencies
from creeping back in and also make it clear that it is independent.
Another thought is that if the Pipeline is completely abstracted then
maybe it would be possible to build Cocoon on other kinds of pipelines.

Ralph

What is Corona?

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
Kamal Bhatt wrote:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> 5. Having a serious look into Corona.
> Forgive my ignorance, but I assume you are not risking blindness or are
> intending to drink lots of beer, so what is Corona?

At Indoqa we have been working on a complete rewrite of Cocoon that we
called Corona. The most basic module of Corona is the 'corona-pipeline'
module. It is easily embeddable into any Java application because it
comes with no dependency but the classes coming with the JRE. Here is an
example for the pipeline API:

Pipeline pipeline = new NonCachingPipeline();

pipeline.addComponent(new FileGenerator(
     PipelineTest.class.getResource("/test.xml")));
pipeline.addComponent(new XSLTTransformer(
     PipelineTest.class.getResource("/test.xslt")));
pipeline.addComponent(new XMLSerializer());

pipeline.execute(null, System.out);

We also had the chance to tidy up a lot of things because the core of
Cocoon isn't easily comprehensible after having been under development
for about 7 years.

On top of corona-pipeline we put the corona-sitemap module. It
implements more or less the sitemap language that you know from Cocoon
2.x. Like Cocoon 2.2 the sitemap components are managed by Spring but
the dependency on Spring should be easily replaceable because it is
hidden behind an interface whose implementation class is really simple.

The third layer of Corona is the 'corona-servlet' module. It provides a
servlet that can be used together with the servlet-service framework.

 From my POV the most important features have been implemented by now.

Re: FYI: I'll be working for Workflow company over summer

Posted by Kamal Bhatt <kb...@tt.com.au>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I thought that it's a good idea to clearly state that I'll be working
> for Workflow company from Vienna.
>
> My employment will probably drive my most of the interest in working
> on C2.2 over this summer. Anyway, I was lucky enough to find a job
> that will give me a chance to work on my favorite Cocoon parts.
>
> My plan for this summer is (apart from bug-fixing and maintenance work
> of course):
> 1. Upgrade of our documentation system to Daisy 2.2 once released
> (quite tedious I guess)
> 2. Collaboration of Dojo 1.1 migration of Forms. Here I speak to you
> Jeremy, I will finally have enough time to give you a serious
> feedback, probably some code and plenty of tips when it comes to 2.2.
> Others interested in this work are invited to participate in the
> effort of course!
I would love to understand Dojo as it is used in CForms. I would like to
solve some mysteries such as what attaches events to the form. It would
be nice if a fix were put in for the ongoing issue with non widget
elements from not rendering in Ajax [1]. This might be better handled
with the formalising the hack mentioned at the end of page, which
doesn't work anymore (or by creating a new kind of widget)
> 3. I finally want to learn how to make releases, I'll probably start
> with Template 1.0.0 and Forms 1.0.0. If successful, then I want to
> release Template 1.2.0 that includes contributions from Kamal Bhatt
> (jx:element).
Good to hear.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1570

--