Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Adrian Cho <Ad...@ca.ibm.com> on 2005/06/15 00:32:38 UTC

Batik licensing question

Hello

I am not a Batik developer nor do I wish to be one but I figured that the
folks on this list would (or should) best know the answer to my question.

Specifically, we (IBM as developers at Eclipse.org) want to redistribute
part of Batik.  In Batik, there are many licenses and files and it doesn't
say specifically which licenses apply to which files.  In most cases it is
obvious but specifically it's not clear wihch files the
LICENSE.dom-documentation.txt and LICENSE.dom-software.txt apply to.  It
could be the batik-dom.jar or it could be DOM in Xerces.  The
LICENSE.sax.txt for example I'm sure applies to the SAX inside Xerces
(inside Batik).

Hope someone can shed some light on this.  I suggest perhaps that in the
license files you might want to specific which files or directories are
subject to that license.

Thanks

Adrian

Adrian Cho
Manager, Intellectual Property
IBM Ottawa Lab
adrian_cho@ca.ibm.com
External: (613) 726-5536
Tie:  654-5536

Re: Batik licensing question

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Just to amend the appearance that Adrian Cho hasn't received an answer,
yet. This has gone through the XML Graphics PMC and we answered Adrian's
questions as well as we could. We've identified a few tasks which should
help avoid such questions in the future.

Apache License version 2.0 but under a BSD-like license from the W3C
(see LICENSE.dom-software.html). It is not clear enough which parts are
subject to which license. Another issue: Some W3C licensed parts are in
Batik's repository as sources which is not ideal since they are mixed
with ALv2 licensed code. We've found no legal problems, only
documentation deficiencies and suboptimal placing of code. I'm going to
work with Thomas and the other Batik committers to handle these issues
over the next few weeks.

On 15.06.2005 00:32:38 Adrian Cho wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am not a Batik developer nor do I wish to be one but I figured that the
> folks on this list would (or should) best know the answer to my question.
>
> Specifically, we (IBM as developers at Eclipse.org) want to redistribute
> part of Batik.  In Batik, there are many licenses and files and it doesn't
> say specifically which licenses apply to which files.  In most cases it is
> obvious but specifically it's not clear wihch files the
> LICENSE.dom-documentation.txt and LICENSE.dom-software.txt apply to.  It
> could be the batik-dom.jar or it could be DOM in Xerces.  The
> LICENSE.sax.txt for example I'm sure applies to the SAX inside Xerces
> (inside Batik).
>
> Hope someone can shed some light on this.  I suggest perhaps that in the
> license files you might want to specific which files or directories are
> subject to that license.

Jeremias Maerki
for the XML Graphics PMC