Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Graham Lounder <gr...@caris.com> on 2004/01/19 20:29:30 UTC

BeanUtils Date Converter

Hey all,

I know this question has been addressed numerous times but I can't seem to
find the answer.

I'm trying to convert strings in my forms to java.sql.Date in my dto.  Its
throwing a conversion error when my form value is null or blank.  Is there a
way to get nulls or passed through the BeanUtils.copyProperties function?  I
read that I may be able to create my own converters too.  Is there any
documentation on this?

Cheers,
Graham

Graham Lounder - Java Developer
Spatial Components Division
CARIS www.caris.com
Tel: +1-506-458-8533 Fax: +1-506-459-3849
CARIS has expanded to new office facilities. Our new mailing address is:
115 Waggoners Lane, Fredericton, New Brunswick, E3B 2L4, Canada.

Re: BeanUtils Date Converter

Posted by Nick Heudecker <ni...@systemmobile.com>.
Graham,

I believe that you need to specify the null returned value:
ConvertUtils.registerConverter(new SqlDateConverter(null), java.sql.Date.class);

On 2004-Jan-19 15:01, Graham Lounder wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I know this question has been addressed numerous times but I can't seem to
> find the answer.
>
> I'm trying to convert strings in my forms to java.sql.Date in my dto.  Its
> throwing a conversion error when my form value is null or blank.  Is there a
> way to get nulls or passed through the BeanUtils.copyProperties function?  I
> read that I may be able to create my own converters too.  Is there any
> documentation on this?
>
> Cheers,
> Graham
>
> Graham Lounder - Java Developer
> Spatial Components Division
> CARIS www.caris.com
> Tel: +1-506-458-8533 Fax: +1-506-459-3849
> CARIS has expanded to new office facilities. Our new mailing address is:
> 115 Waggoners Lane, Fredericton, New Brunswick, E3B 2L4, Canada.

Nick Heudecker
System Mobile, Inc.
Email: nick@systemmobile.com
Web: http://www.systemmobile.com

RE: BeanUtils Date Converter

Posted by Graham Lounder <gr...@caris.com>.
Of course, right after I sent the email, I figured out my problem.  I
created the following class, then registered it in my ContextListener using
this line:

ConvertUtils.register(new SqlDateConverter(), java.sql.Date.class);

package com.caris.pmis.util;
import java.sql.Date;
import org.apache.commons.beanutils.Converter;
import org.apache.commons.beanutils.converters.*;

public class SqlDateConverter implements Converter
{
  private org.apache.commons.beanutils.converters.SqlDateConverter
sqlDateConverter = new
org.apache.commons.beanutils.converters.SqlDateConverter();

  public Object convert(Class type, Object value)
  {
    if(value == null || value.toString().length() < 1)
      return null;

    return sqlDateConverter.convert(type, value);
  }
}

Cheers,
Graham