Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Don Coleman <do...@emax.com> on 2001/09/22 00:45:02 UTC

can transform warnings be reported as errors

I'd like to have the Transformer treat warnings as Errors and throw an
TransformerException with the contents of my xsl:message tag.  Can the
Transformer be configured to do this?

If an error occurs in my style sheet I have the following line
	<xsl:message terminate="yes">My Error Message</xsl:message>

When I transform this an error message prints to Standard.err:
file:///foo/bar/style.xsl; Line 36; Column -1; My Error Message

My Java class catches a TransformerException
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Stylesheet directed termination.
It does not seem to contain a root cause or exception with a message of "My
Error Message" like I would expect.

I can write an ErrorListener that catches the warning.  But I'm not sure how
I stop processing and report this error to my code.  Is there a standard way
to do this?

void transform(Document document, File styleSheet, File outFile) throws
TransformerException {
    Transformer transformer = null;

    StreamSource styleSource = new StreamSource(styleSheet);
    transformer = tFactory.newTransformer(styleSource);

    JDOMSource in = new JDOMSource(document);
    StreamResult result = new StreamResult(outFile);
    transformer.transform(in, result);
}