Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Loïc Le Doyen <le...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/16 18:22:35 UTC

[maven-dependency-plugin] Proposal: Additional parameter to order tree output

Hello @dev team !

Being a frequent user of the *maven-dependency-plugin*, I often lack the
possibility to order the output of the *tree* goal to compare effective
trees when refactoring POM files.

So, following the same idea of comparing trees, it could be also
interesting to be able to output in a computer-friendly language such as
XML or JSON.

I will be happy to supply PR, if this is something that the Maven community
is interested in.

Best regards,

Loïc Ledoyen

Re: [maven-dependency-plugin] Proposal: Additional parameter to order tree output

Posted by Maarten Mulders <ma...@mulders.it>.
Hi Loïc,

First of all, thanks for the suggestion! You are not alone in this idea.

In fact, there is already a PR [1] that provides this kind of
functionality. It's been open for a while. The main reason is that it is
currently hard to prove that it doesn't break anything. For that reason,
I started working on some unit tests [2] but haven't yet received much
feedback on it. Also I didn't find much time to continue that work.

Thanks,

Maarten

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven-dependency-plugin/pull/24
[2] https://github.com/apache/maven-dependency-plugin/pull/29

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
Would this simply affect the output of what's shown to the user by
maven dependency:tree or would it also affect the order of resolution
for compile, exec:java, and everything else?

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org