Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Frans Thamura <ja...@intercitra.com> on 2003/06/20 12:48:20 UTC

Re[2]: [DBCP] Configuring DBCP for Tomcat/Oracle

how to use it??? do you can give me the sample code it Michael??

Thanks

Frans

> Hi Michael.
>
> Does it work when you've got the resource configured in the <context>
> element in your server.xml file?
>
> Like so:
> <Resource name="jdbc/JNDI_NAME" auth="Container"
>     type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
>
> 	<ResourceParams name="jdbc/PORTAL_EINT">
>         <parameter>
>                <name>username</name>
>                <value>user</value>
>             </parameter>
>             <parameter>
>                <name>password</name>
>                <value>******</value>
>             </parameter>
>             <parameter>
>                <name>driverClassName</name>
>                <value>oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver</value>
>             </parameter>
>             <parameter>
>                <name>url</name>
>               <value>jdbc:oracle:thin:@db.server.net:1528:RDB</value>
>             </parameter>
> 	    <parameter>
> 	      <name>maxActive</name>
> 	      <value>2</value>
> 	    </parameter>
> 	    <parameter>
> 	      <name>maxIdle</name>
> 	      <value>1</value>
> 	    </parameter>
> 	</ResourceParams>

Frans Thamura <ja...@intercitra.com>
Intercitra Innovation Center
+62 855 7888 699

We help you manage and control.

RE: Re[2]: [DBCP] Configuring DBCP for Tomcat/Oracle

Posted by Michael Holly <mh...@talisentech.com>.
Frans

The web.xml is in the application's jar (see file below)
The server.xml belongs in $TOMCAT_HOME/conf  (nothing special here. the pool
is configured in the $APP.NAME.xml file)
A xml file called $APP.NAME.xml belongs in $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps This is the
tsr.xml file from below.

In $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib put the following files.

commons-dbcp.jar
commons-pool.jar
commons-collections.jar

naming-common.jar
naming-factory.jar
naming-resources.jar

Below is a servlet to call it.  If you need more help checkout the following
resources

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/   The examples here aren't that
helpful, but this where you get the jars
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-how
to.html   very helpful

Notice that my url defined in the pool is odd.  This is to get a dedicated
connection an oracle MTS database.
Your URL will be more like the commented url.  Also note that the code for
getting the connection is not production
ready.  It just an example.

TestPool servlet ---------------------------------------------------
package net.myco.tsr.servlets;

import net.myco.tsr.StringUtil;
import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.PreparedStatement;
import java.sql.Statement;
import java.sql.ResultSet;
import java.sql.ResultSetMetaData;
import java.sql.SQLException;
import javax.sql.DataSource;
import javax.naming.InitialContext;
import javax.naming.Context;
import javax.naming.NamingException;
import javax.naming.NamingEnumeration;
import org.apache.log4j.Logger;
import org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource;

import java.util.ResourceBundle;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;
import org.apache.log4j.Logger;
import org.apache.log4j.Level;
import org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator;

/**
 *  This servlet starts needed services when Tomcat starts
 *
 * @author  Michael Holly
 * created  Jan 18, 2002
 */
public class TestPoolServlet extends HttpServlet {

   //ResourceBundle props = ResourceBundle.getBundle("tsr");

   Logger log = Logger.getLogger(TestPoolServlet.class);

   /**
    * The doGet method calls the doPost method.
    *
    * @param aRequest The request to be handled.
    * @param aResponse The response to be sent back after processing the
request.
    */
   public void doGet( HttpServletRequest aRequest
                    , HttpServletResponse aResponse )
               throws ServletException, IOException
   {

      // doGet() calls doPost()
      doPost(aRequest, aResponse );

   }

   /**
    * The doPost method is the standard request handling method.
    *
    * @param aRequest The request to be handled.
    * @param aResponse The response to be sent back after processing the
request.
    */
   public void doPost( HttpServletRequest aRequest
                     , HttpServletResponse aResponse )
                throws ServletException, IOException
   {

      PrintWriter out = null;

      InitialContext initialContext = null;
      ResultSet resultSet = null;
      Context context = null;
      DataSource lDataSource = null;
      //BasicDataSource lDataSource = null;
      Connection connection = null;
      PreparedStatement preparedStatement = null;

      try
      {
         out = aResponse.getWriter();

         initialContext = new InitialContext();

         out.print("<HTML><BODY>");

         log.debug("TESTING Data connections "  );

         // this works
         Context context = (Context) initialContext.lookup("java:comp/env");
         DataSource lDataSource = (DataSource)
context.lookup("jdbc/oracle_tsr");

         out.print("<BR><BR>Initial Context Environment<BR><BR>");

         out.print(initialContext.getEnvironment().toString());

         out.print("<BR><BR><HR><BR><BR>");
         //out.print("<BR><BR>Context List<BR><BR>");

         //Enumeration list =
initialContext.list("java:comp/env/jdbc/oracle_tsr");

         out.print("DataSource is " + lDataSource.toString() + "<BR><BR>");

         out.print("<BR><BR><HR><BR><BR>");

         // throws SQLException
         connection = lDataSource.getConnection();

         out.print("Connection is " + lDataSource.toString());
         out.print("<BR><BR><HR><BR><BR>");

         log.debug("SQL = \n\n Select SYSADATE from dual; \n\n");
         preparedStatement = connection.prepareStatement("Select SYSDATE
from dual;");

         resultSet = preparedStatement.executeQuery();

         log.info( "\n    SQL command Select SYADATE from dual; ran. \n");

         ResultSetMetaData resultSetMetaData = resultSet.getMetaData();

         out.print("SQL ran");

      }
      catch (Exception e)
      {
         out.print("Error");
         out.print(e.getMessage());
         out.print("<HR>");
         out.print("<BR><BR><B><U>Stack Trace</U></B><BR>");
         e.printStackTrace(out);
         out.print("<HR>");
         e.printStackTrace();
      }