Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by "David.Serafini" <Da...@target.com> on 2018/04/20 20:05:45 UTC

Re: [EXTERNAL] [DISCUSS] Retirement of Slider from incubation

My overwhelming concern with this is what happens to the users in the field who depend on slider but don't foresee migrating to Hadoop 3.x any time soon.
Given the size of the 3.x changes and the likely disruption to operations that such a migration would cause for a Hadoop cluster of any significant size, I can only imagine that this will matter to a significant number of slider users.

-david

On 4/20/18, 12:55 PM, Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Dear Slider Community,

    Activity on Slider has been very low for about a year and we have received
    feedback from the IPMC that it is time for us to figure out where the
    project is going. Also, an AM implementation that supports long running
    services has now been released in Apache Hadoop YARN 3.1.0. Let's start a
    discussion on whether it is time to retire the Slider podling.

    Here is some information about what retirement means and what the
    retirement process looks like:
    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement.html

    Billie

Re: [EXTERNAL] [DISCUSS] Retirement of Slider from incubation

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
The code will still be available for download. I guess my question would be
whether users would desire an additional release to be made before
retirement. Are there are any major known issues in the last release, or
does that release seem stable enough to last users for a while until they
are ready to upgrade to Hadoop 3.x?