Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Luke The Man <th...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/01 19:12:38 UTC

N00b - But please help - Cocoon syndication/proxy

I am totally new to cocoon, and while I get the architecture, I am struggling
wading through the various disparate doc elements to figure out what I think
would be a simple task.

I want to use my cocoon instance like a syndication or proxy. I know there
is a syndication example, but it does not have the complete sitemap in it
and it skims over some issues I am not getting. Plus it is based on using
web service calls, and all I want to do is redirect web calls, get the page
and do some parsing on it.

Can anyone help me with this?

Re: N00b - But please help - Cocoon syndication/proxy

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 03/07/2011 03:37, Luke The Man wrote:
> Well I am looking to do two things... One to have a website redirected to a
> cocoon instance for a different presentation.
>
> WS1 --->  redirects ----->  cocoon
>
> Where the redirect would look like http://<cocoon instance>?http://<ws1
> call>
>
> So that I could syndicate and re-present a different view of the content.

Luke,
I do believe that Cocoon is very suitable indeed for this kind of job.

See attached a sample Cocoon 3 maven project doing some rather basic
syndication.

I have generated the Cocoon 3 block as per [1] by using the command:

mvn archetype:generate \
     -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.cocoon.archetype-block \
     -DarchetypeArtifactId=cocoon-archetype-block \
     -DarchetypeVersion=3.0.0-alpha-3 \
     -DgroupId=com.mycompany \
     -DartifactId=myblock

then I've added some additional dependencies in order to be able to use
the Neko HTML generator [2] and the RegexpLinkRewriter transformer [3]

Uncompress the file attached, cd and launch with "mvn jetty:run"; then
point your favorite browser to

http://localhost:8888/syndicate?url=http://www.google.com

or

http://localhost:8888/syndicate?url=http://www.apache.org

You should now be able to see Google's and Apache's home pages,
respectively.

Take the content of the file src/main/resources/COB-INF/sitemap.xmap
(included in the attached source package) as reference: what the
syndicate pipeline does is basically:

  1. fetch the provided URL content and transform into XHTML by using
the Neko HTML generator [2]
  2. rewrite all links in the XHTML code using the RegexpLinkRewriter
transformer
  3. add, using a simple XSL transformation, the <base/> element in the
<head> to make available, for example, images loaded by CSS
  4. serialize the content as XML

This basic sample can be of course improved in many ways, but it seems
to me that can serve you as a starting base for your needs.

Cheers.

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/download.html
[2] http://s.apache.org/k5
[3] http://s.apache.org/810

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member
http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: N00b - But please help - Cocoon syndication/proxy

Posted by Luke The Man <th...@gmail.com>.
Well I am looking to do two things... One to have a website redirected to a
cocoon instance for a different presentation.

WS1 ---> redirects -----> cocoon

Where the redirect would look like http://<cocoon instance>?http://<ws1
call>

So that I could syndicate and re-present a different view of the content.

LS

Posted by Jos Snellings <Jo...@pandora.be>.