Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Dd Mm <tm...@gmx.net> on 2006/07/01 00:20:13 UTC

Re: Re: Svnserve Logging (Yet again)

> > + Log error and high level information to stdout/err. This
> > option would have no effect when svnserve is launched with
> > --tunnel or --inetd.
>
> Since i expect most people who want this uses svnserve under
> supservise/tcpserver or something similar, you need to log to
> stderr, not stdout, and it needs to work in --inetd mode.

I guess I don't know how tunneled operation works. From what you're saying the stderr is not read, so logging can write to it without interfering. Ok, that makes sense.

So in other words it sounds like we need 4 options for logging in svnserve.conf:
1) error log file
2) info/warning log file
3) error log stream (stdout or stderr)
4) info/warn log stream (stdout or stderr)

1 and 2 could be the same file, and 3 and 4 could be the same stream. If someone chose to output errors to stdout and a tunneled connection is created, does that cause an error or a warning?

> > Since logging to file stdout/err would be separately enabled
> > from file logging, this would be OK. (This would be a warning
> > not an error I would think)
>
> I don't know what this means.

See error/warning question above instead.

Re: Svnserve Logging (Yet again)

Posted by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.
"Dd Mm" <tm...@gmx.net> writes:

> > > + Log error and high level information to stdout/err. This
> > > option would have no effect when svnserve is launched with
> > > --tunnel or --inetd.
> >
> > Since i expect most people who want this uses svnserve under
> > supservise/tcpserver or something similar, you need to log to
> > stderr, not stdout, and it needs to work in --inetd mode.
>
> I guess I don't know how tunneled operation works. From what
> you're saying the stderr is not read, so logging can write to
> it without interfering. Ok, that makes sense.

I'm not sure logging for tunneling makes sense, and i was
certainly not suggesting it.

> So in other words it sounds like we need 4 options for logging
> in svnserve.conf:
> 1) error log file
> 2) info/warning log file

> 3) error log stream (stdout or stderr)
> 4) info/warn log stream (stdout or stderr)

I'm obviously failing to communicate the point here.  In inetd
mode, stdout is connected to the client.  This is why the option
i want must log to stderr.  Write errors, warnings, logs, info,
whatever to stderr, each line tagged appropriately.  Maybe we
want a log-level setting to say how much of that you want, i
don't know.

BTW, please wrap your lines at 65 columns in the future.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org