Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Zhiyong Li <Zh...@ibiomatics.com> on 2002/07/19 23:14:45 UTC

SSL & TSL

I downloaded James 2.0a3-cvs and I have J2SDK1.4.1 in my Win2000
machine. I followed the steps to update the config.xml files and I can
get the server up after going through a bunch of pains. The changes I
made include:

1. In config.xml:  uncomment useSSL for both SMTP and POP3.
2. In config.xml:  uncomment <factory name="ssl" ... section
3. Create a keystore with keytool.

However, the command window of the server is still shown:

Application file:/C:/working/james-2.0a3/apps/james.sar uses a
deprecated packaging format.
James 2.0a3-cvs
Started POP3 Server plain:995
Started SMTP Server plain:25
Started NNTP Server plain:119

I would expect that they show "secure" instead of "plain". Also, when I
tried to connect to it with my Java mail program, I got the exception,

javax.servlet.ServletException: Could not connect to SMTP host:
localhost, port: 25;

Thank you for your help,
Zhiyong Li
Analytical Solutions, SAS Institute
(919) 653-2746
Zhiyong.Li@sas.com

Re: SSL & TSL

Posted by "Andrei A. Ivanov" <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Hi
First what you should check
1. cornerstone.jar which James uses should be built with jsse jars.
2. of course, jsse jars should be available to james as well
Please check the list for my post which is about one month old where there
is a detailed explanations on how to configure James to support ssl.

Best regards,
Andrei

Re: SSL & TSL

Posted by Hontvari Jozsef <ho...@solware.com>.
You should also check for a bug in this version, as I remember there is a
bug related to this, the option switching on ssl only accepts a case
sensitive value. Best if you look at the source.