Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Reshmi Raji <re...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/03 09:11:25 UTC

Pilot Mentoring Programme with India ICFOSS - Mentor Request Mail.

Hi,

I am currently persuading my Masters degree ( 2nd year ) from Indian
Institute Of Information Technology And Management-Kerala ,India.

I am one among the 50 Student Candidate who participated in Pilot Mentoring
Programme with India ICFOSS under Mr.Luciano
Resende<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=luciano%20resende>(21
st to 23 rd Jun 2013).I am interested in learning more about Open
Source and would like to contribute my main project of my Masters Degree to
Apache Community.

I would like to do my project in Mahout- "Implementation Of Apriori
Algorithm in Mahout". From the list of Mentors unassigned I just saw Mr.Dan
Filimon<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=dfilimon>is
working in Mahout Projects.Either Mr.Dan
Filimon<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=dfilimon>orany
one else who is working in Mahout be my Mentor, so that I can do my
project successfully as well can contribute the same for the Apache.org?

Thanks

Reshmi Raji,
Master Of Science-Information Technology,
Indian Institute Of Information Technology And Management-Kerala ,India.

Re: Pilot Mentoring Programme with India ICFOSS - Mentor Request Mail.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 5:56 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 3:13 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Dan Filimon <dangeorge.filimon@gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > This is Dan (from Mahout). I'm writing here because for whatever reason
>> > your e-mail hasn't reached dev@mahout and I saw it here first.
>> >

>> I haven't seen that email on the Mahout list either.
>>

> Maybe the e-mail is waiting moderation ? I don't see it on the archives
> either.

I believe her e-mails are reaching the list now

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/mahout-dev/201307.mbox/%3CCAEvMzqwqKffE3SwO5jhyAHEz%3DJ9qUvOfnzTVLwEWZdOXwysTRA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: Pilot Mentoring Programme with India ICFOSS - Mentor Request Mail.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Filimon <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Reshmi!

This is Dan (from Mahout). I'm writing here because for whatever reason
your e-mail hasn't reached dev@mahout and I saw it here first.
I'm really happy that you want to do your Masters with Mahout! :)
It's an awesome idea and I too have done exactly that and will be
presenting my Bachelors with Mahout in a few days!

This of course makes me unqualified to be a mentor... I've touched parts of
the code base but I feel that I'm lacking enough machine learning knowledge
to be of much help for your thesis.
That being said, for any non-machine learning questions about Mahout you
may have, feel free to e-mail the user@ or dev@ and I'll do my best to try
and answer!

Good luck!
Dan

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Reshmi Raji <re...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am currently persuading my Masters degree ( 2nd year ) from Indian
> Institute Of Information Technology And Management-Kerala ,India.
>
> I am one among the 50 Student Candidate who participated in Pilot Mentoring
> Programme with India ICFOSS under Mr.Luciano
> Resende<
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=luciano%20resende
> >(21
> st to 23 rd Jun 2013).I am interested in learning more about Open
> Source and would like to contribute my main project of my Masters Degree to
> Apache Community.
>

> I would like to do my project in Mahout- "Implementation Of Apriori
> Algorithm in Mahout". From the list of Mentors unassigned I just saw Mr.Dan
> Filimon<
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=dfilimon>is
> working in Mahout Projects.Either Mr.Dan
> Filimon<
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=dfilimon>orany
> one else who is working in Mahout be my Mentor, so that I can do my
> project successfully as well can contribute the same for the Apache.org?
>

> Thanks

Hi Reshmi,

   You should ask this question to the Mahout community on their
development list, see [1]. A few members of the Mahout community have been
mentors in previous years GSoC and Im sure they would be willing to help if
they feel that your project would be good for the Mahout community.

   Please let us know in here or in the students list if you can't make
progress with the Mahout dev list.

Thanks

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Mailing+Lists%2C+IRC+and+Archives#