Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2000/06/10 01:13:07 UTC

ap_interval_time_t (was: Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/time/unix time.c)

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 02:25:39PM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > > Probably, but I still don't see the need for the two types, so I
> > > constantly forget about the interval_time.  I'll change it later.
> >
> > dunno if i can help:  ap_time_t is an absolute time.  semantically it
> > doesn't make sense to store a 5 millisecond interval in an absolute time
> > (because the value "5 ms" means "5 ms after the epoch").  abs time needs
> > 64-bits, and relative time needs only 32-bits ...
>
> I guess I see reasoning behind it, I just don't see the need.  Since
> people seem to like it, I'm not complaining, I am just going to have to be
> reminded that we need to do this, because it isn't something I am likely
> to think of on my own.  :-)

I'm with Dean on the need for two. But no worries Ryan: I'm always willing
to pester^H^H^H^H^H^Hremind you about the other type.

:-)

Cheers,
-g

p.s. note that it has been switched to an ap_interval_time_t, and the one
call in Apache that used it has also been updated.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: ap_interval_time_t (was: Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/time/unix time.c)

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > I guess I see reasoning behind it, I just don't see the need.  Since
> > people seem to like it, I'm not complaining, I am just going to have to be
> > reminded that we need to do this, because it isn't something I am likely
> > to think of on my own.  :-)
>
> I'm with Dean on the need for two. But no worries Ryan: I'm always willing
> to pester^H^H^H^H^H^Hremind you about the other type.
>
> p.s. note that it has been switched to an ap_interval_time_t, and the one
> call in Apache that used it has also been updated.

I don't mind making the changes (as I did in this case), I'm just not
likely to do it correctly the first time until I get used to it.  :-)

And I'm likely to fight getting used to it every step of the way.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131