Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com> on 2002/12/27 18:29:51 UTC

Possible data integrity fault: Removed 'user' role kills admin

This appears to be a data-integrity problem where deleting a role
has not been properly propagated or protected against:  Seeking to
refactor the role of "user" to "member" and "guest", I removed the
role of "user" and now jetspeed refuses to assign any roles to
any users returning instead errors like

   Failed update role+permission:
   org.apache.jetspeed.services.security.GroupException: Unjoin group
   'Jetspeed' to user 'anon' failed: : Unknown role 'user'

Adding the 'user' role back in corrects the problem.  My guess is that
you have to manually ensure that the role is no longer used before you
remove it, but this should be detected when someone tries to delete
a role.
--
Gary Lawrence Murphy - garym@teledyn.com - TeleDynamics Communications
   - blog: http://www.teledyn.com/mt/ - biz: http://teledyn.com/ -

Re: Quicktopic Tutorial

Posted by Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com>.
Beautiful --- now when we discover issues in the tutorial, all we
need do is place the comment inline; it's unfortunate that QuickTopic
does not support images as that means you still have to read the
original edition and then cross-ref to place your comments.

Re: Possible data integrity fault: Removed 'user' role kills admin

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 11:11  PM, David Sean Taylor wrote:

> On Friday, December 27, 2002, at 09:29  AM, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
>

>> This appears to be a data-integrity problem where deleting a role
>> has not been properly propagated or protected against:  Seeking to
>> refactor the role of "user" to "member" and "guest", I removed the
>> role of "user" and now jetspeed refuses to assign any roles to
>> any users returning instead errors like
>>
>>    Failed update role+permission:
>>    org.apache.jetspeed.services.security.GroupException: Unjoin group
>>    'Jetspeed' to user 'anon' failed: : Unknown role 'user'
>>
>> Adding the 'user' role back in corrects the problem.  My guess is that
>> you have to manually ensure that the role is no longer used before you
>> remove it, but this should be detected when someone tries to delete
>> a role.
>> --

Have a look at JetspeedSecurity.properties:

services.JetspeedSecurity.programmatic.cascade.delete=false

If you are using Hypersonic or another database that doesn't support
cascading deletes, then this setting should be true

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: Possible data integrity fault: Removed 'user' role kills admin

Posted by Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com>.

    >>  On Friday, December 27, 2002, at 09:29 AM, Gary Lawrence
    >> Murphy wrote:
    >>>  This appears to be a data-integrity problem where deleting a
    >>> role has not been properly propagated or protected against:
    >>> Seeking to refactor the role of "user" to "member" and
    >>> "guest", I removed the role of "user" and now jetspeed refuses
    >>> to assign any roles to any users returning instead errors like

    b> Have a look at JetspeedSecurity.properties:
    b> services.JetspeedSecurity.programmatic.cascade.delete=false

    b> If you are using Hypersonic or another database that doesn't
    b> support cascading deletes, then this setting should be true

Yes, I have that set true, but the database still becomes corrupted
by a delete.

--

Posted by bl...@mac.com.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Friday, December 27, 2002, at 09:29  AM, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

> This appears to be a data-integrity problem where deleting a role
> has not been properly propagated or protected against:  Seeking to
> refactor the role of "user" to "member" and "guest", I removed the
> role of "user" and now jetspeed refuses to assign any roles to
> any users returning instead errors like
>
>    Failed update role+permission:
>    org.apache.jetspeed.services.security.GroupException: Unjoin group
>    'Jetspeed' to user 'anon' failed: : Unknown role 'user'
>
> Adding the 'user' role back in corrects the problem.  My guess is that
> you have to manually ensure that the role is no longer used before you
> remove it, but this should be detected when someone tries to delete
> a role.
> --
> Gary Lawrence Murphy - garym@teledyn.com - TeleDynamics Communications
>    - blog: http://www.teledyn.com/mt/ - biz: http://teledyn.com/ -
>   "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." (Picasso)

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Not sure how much time Im going to have to work on the tutorial. Anyway
  I think its configured here:

  http://www.quicktopic.com/18/D/JP9GLWfctwr.html

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

RE: Possible data integrity fault: Removed 'user' role kills admin

Posted by Mark Orciuch <mo...@apache.org>.
Please log this into Bugzilla. Thanks!

Best regards,

Mark Orciuch - morciuch@apache.org