Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by Elias Aarnio <el...@iki.fi> on 2013/04/07 14:35:59 UTC

UTF-8 characters in shared application

Hello,

In addition to many other dodgy things around flash I found a new bug in
flash.

UTF-8 works in the whiteboard even if there would be clients having
different character encodings.

If you share in OM a text document in a text editor or word processor,
scandinavian characters (Öö Ää and Åå) do not work even if the host and
the clients would all have same locale and chacater set settings
(UTF-8). This is not so surprising if we think about the history of
flash FP-40 bug.

The hilarious part of this is that also Adobe Connect is hit by the same
bug. I tested this with setups where I had 2 clients in a session at a a
time, combinations were Win7/Ubuntu 12.04, Win7/OSX (has also UTF-8).
The funny part is that in this two cases the behaviour is different. If
a more detailed report is wanted I can write one.

The moral of the story: Flash quite simply has too many problems with
issues like this and I cannot wait that we can ditch it.

--
Elias Aarnio

Re: UTF-8 characters in shared application

Posted by Elias Aarnio <el...@iki.fi>.
21.04.2013 20:35, Elias Aarnio kirjoitti:
> Sorry for delay.
>
> I thought I had access to the document in PDF format. I found it only
> in Slideshare:
> http://www.slideshare.net/infe/webinaarien-tekninen-selvitysraportti-avo
There is a way to download the original document. However, I read the
doc and it IMHO is not very useful as it is not of high quality and it
does not contain OM nor Connect. This comparison would be essential.

Posted by Elias Aarnio <el...@iki.fi>.
Hello,

09.04.2013 16:21, Alexei Fedotov kirjoitti:
> Hello Elias, thanks for feedback. Feel free to share the finnish
> document, google translate makes this no longer a problem.
Sorry for delay.

I thought I had access to the document in PDF format. I found it only in
Slideshare:
http://www.slideshare.net/infe/webinaarien-tekninen-selvitysraportti-avo

Unfortunately Google translator can not translate the document in
Slideshare as it is flash...

Generally speaking, translating finnish to english is far beyond the
capabilities of Google translator. Finnish has a complicated syntax (and
grammar) and it is morphologically very rich. This might be the reason
to why prof. Kimmo Koskenniemi's two level morphological analysis is
still used in different software regardless of language ;-)

If interested, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimmo_Koskenniemi

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Elias, thanks for feedback. Feel free to share the finnish document,
google translate makes this no longer a problem.

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

Posted by Elias Aarnio <el...@iki.fi>.