Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Richard Müller <r....@oeko-sorpe.de> on 2004/09/12 11:40:45 UTC

sa-learn

Hi,
please let me ask you a beginners question:
I use Kmail as email program and invoke spamassasin-learn with sa-learn
--showdots --spam-folder/* , the same for --ham-folder/* via a shell script.
I have several hundreds of mails in both directories. Each time sa-learn is
invoked, it says "Learned from 2 messages" or "learned from 1 message". Even
if I run the script on the folders again, without new mails added to them,
the message remains the same: sometimes 1, sometimes 2 messages.
I expected it to learn from a lot of mails when invoked for the first time on
a given folder, and "learned from 0 messages" when invoked a second time on
the same unchanged folder.
Am I doing something wrong or do I misunderstand something?
Thanks, Richard
--
Richard Müller - Am Spring 9 - D-58802 Balve-Eisborn
r.mueller@oeko-sorpe.de      -     www.oeko-sorpe.de

Re: sa-learn

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Richard Müller" <r....@oeko-sorpe.de>

> Hi,
> please let me ask you a beginners question:
> I use Kmail as email program and invoke spamassasin-learn with sa-learn
> --showdots --spam-folder/* , the same for --ham-folder/* via a shell
script.
> I have several hundreds of mails in both directories. Each time sa-learn
is
> invoked, it says "Learned from 2 messages" or "learned from 1 message".
Even
> if I run the script on the folders again, without new mails added to them,
> the message remains the same: sometimes 1, sometimes 2 messages.
> I expected it to learn from a lot of mails when invoked for the first time
on
> a given folder, and "learned from 0 messages" when invoked a second time
on
> the same unchanged folder.
> Am I doing something wrong or do I misunderstand something?

I don't use KMail so I don't know for sure. But it may be that the
program uses "mbox" format files for storing email. If that is the case
then you need to add the "--mbox" stanza to your incantation. Then the
magic should happen.
{^_^}