Posted to jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org by Martí­n Eduardo Bradaschia <ma...@intercomgi.net> on 2010/06/16 21:41:27 UTC

Setting shared cache

Hi there !

I need some help in this scenario.

I was using jcs to cache data in our application. It used a disk
auxiliary and all was going well, but now ...

The application grew up, we have 8 nodes working in cluster now. Each
node calculates values (it takes about 2 minutes to calculate each value
because of internet access, text parsing, etc). So we need that each
calculated value be stored in a shared cache to avoid the same
calculation in other nodes. High performance is not a priority, sharing
is !

The question is   What settings would you recommend ?

Thnx in advance !

--
Martin Eduardo Bradaschia
Intercomgi Argentina

Re: Not suitable driver on tomcat5

Posted by Jorge Medina <ce...@gmail.com>.
You don't give much details on why you think JCS may be interfering.
Your problem seems to be more suitable to be solved in the Tomcat list.
JCS would not interfere with your JDBC driver.

Where are you loading JCS ?
I have used JCS loading it in the common/lib and as part of my webapp
without problems.

Setting JDBC at runtime

Posted by Martí­n Eduardo Bradaschia <ma...@intercomgi.net>.
Hi again !

Finally I set up a JDBC auxiliary, for a cluster app deploy, and it
seems to work well.

I need a little help with runtime config now. I want to set the mysql
driver url up at runtime. I have this lines in my source

         JCS.setConfigFilename((CONFIG_PATH));
         JCS jcs = JCS.getInstance("default");
        (puts and gets here)

between them I need to reach the JDBCDiskCacheAttributes to set url up,
but I walked all javadoc and I do not realize which are the method
calls. Can you help me with that ?

Thanx again for your time !

Regards

--
Martin Eduardo Bradaschia
Intercomgi Argentina

Re: Setting shared cache

Posted by Al Forbes <fo...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, local caches listen to events from the remote...so local and remote
caches are kept in sync (actually the remote just notifies the local when
something expires or a new item is added).

The BLOB means anything can be stored - I don't think the db will be the
bottleneck even with >1 million entries, especially if you are only storing
relatively small objects.

Cheers,
Al

Re: Setting shared cache

Posted by Martí­n Eduardo Bradaschia <ma...@intercomgi.net>.
Hi again !

Al, thank you for your response.

What about the JDBC auxiliary ?  It would release me from setting up the
remote cache, and to create another web app for the startup, right ?

I still have a doubt, it will work like de remote cache ? I mean, when a
node stores a value, It will be visible for other caches ?

I see another little problem, de values are stored in BLOB fileds into
the database, but I will store just Doubles.

Thanx again for your time !

Martin.

El 17/06/10 03:59, Al Forbes escribió:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Sounds like you need a remote cache - each local cache updates the remote
> cache. If something is not in the local cache, then the query is sent to the
> remote cache. If the remote cache is updated, all other caches are notified
> of the update.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jcs/RemoteAuxCache.html
>
> Regards
> Al
>
> 2010/6/16 Martí­n Eduardo Bradaschia<ma...@intercomgi.net>
>

>> Hi there !
>>
>> I need some help in this scenario.
>>
>> I was using jcs to cache data in our application. It used a disk auxiliary
>> and all was going well, but now ...
>>
>> The application grew up, we have 8 nodes working in cluster now. Each node
>> calculates values (it takes about 2 minutes to calculate each value because
>> of internet access, text parsing, etc). So we need that each calculated
>> value be stored in a shared cache to avoid the same calculation in other
>> nodes. High performance is not a priority, sharing is !
>>
>> The question is   What settings would you recommend ?
>>
>> Thnx in advance !
>>
>> --
>> Martin Eduardo Bradaschia
>> Intercomgi Argentina