Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Yosi Botzer <yo...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/11 11:16:58 UTC

varchar vs. varchar(x)

Hi,

What is the difference between varchar and varcha(x) types?

Does varchar(x) fro example has better performance and why?

I am asking about columns which are part of the key

Yosi

Re: varchar vs. varchar(x)

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Yosi,
The biggest difference is that Phoenix will check that the content is less
than or equal to the max length and give an error if that is the case.
There's no real performance difference.
Thanks,
James